Avast Antivirus allows you to set a password to protect access to various areas of the application. If you forget your password, you can regain access to Avast Antivirus in two ways. Refer to the relevant section in this article to either reinstall Avast Antivirus or remove the aswResp.dat file.
Reinstall Avast Antivirus
If you are unable to remember your password, you can regain access to password-protected areas of Avast Antivirus by reinstalling the application in Safe Mode.
- Start Windows in Safe Mode by following the steps in the article below:
- Uninstall Avast Antivirus. For uninstallation instructions, refer to the following article:
- Reinstall Avast Antivirus. For installation instructions, refer to the articles below according to your product version:
After reinstalling Avast Antivirus, you can access the application without a password. To set a new password, refer to the following article:
Remove the aswResp.dat file
If you are unable to remember your password, you can regain access to password-protected areas of Avast Antivirus by removing the
- Avast Omni 1.x
- Avast Premium Security 20.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 20.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 2, 32 / 64-bit