If you experience an issue with Avast Antivirus, we recommend you verify that the program is properly installed, activated, up to date, and protecting your PC before taking further troubleshooting steps.
Ensure Avast Antivirus is installed
If your version of Avast Antivirus does not appear in the list of programs and features, the program is not installed on your PC. Refer to the relevant article to install your preferred version of Avast Antivirus:
- Latest Avast Antivirus products:
- Older Avast Antivirus products:
Determine whether your subscription is active
- Right-click the Avast icon in your system tray and select Subscription information from the menu that appears.
- On the My Subscriptions screen, confirm that the text Active appears next to your version of Avast Antivirus listed under Subscriptions on this PC. You can also see the expiration date and number of days remaining for your active license.
If your subscription is not active, refer to the relevant article to activate your preferred version of Avast Antivirus:
Latest Avast Antivirus Products:
Older Avast Antivirus Products:
Ensure your Avast Antivirus is up to date
To ensure you are fully protected, keep Avast Antivirus up to date at all times. If you are unsure whether you are using the latest version of the program or whether the virus definitions used by the program to protect you are up to date, refer to the following article:
When troubleshooting issues with Avast Support, you may be asked to provide information about your Program and Virus Definitions versions. To obtain the required information:
- Right-click the Avast icon in your system tray and select About Avast.
- On the About Avast screen, refer to the following information which is visible at the top of the screen:
- Program version
- Virus definitions version
- Number of definitions
For information about Avast Antivirus updates, see the following references:
Determine whether your PC is protected
- Right-click the Avast system tray icon on your Windows taskbar, and select Open Avast user interface.
- Ensure the Status tab is selected from the left panel.
- The Green Status screen with text You're protected indicates that all protection components are enabled, and Avast Antivirus is actively securing your PC. When this status appears, no actions are required.
- A Red Status screen indicates a critical issue with core antivirus components, which require your immediate attention, while a Yellow Status screen indicates an urgent issue. If a red or yellow status is displayed, click the relevant action displayed below the status to ensure your PC is fully protected:
- Resolve: resolves an issue with active protection components, such as Core Shields.
- Turn On: enables components which help to ensure maximum protection, such as Firewall or automatic updates.
- Update: updates your Avast Antivirus to the latest program version.
- Activate / Reactivate: prompts you to select a subscription plan to activate Avast Antivirus.
- Restart Now: reboots your PC to complete an update of all Avast Antivirus components.
To further verify that Avast Antivirus is protecting your PC against malware, refer to the following article:
- Avast Premium Security 19.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 19.x
- Avast Omni 1.x
- Avast Premier 19.x
- Avast Internet Security 19.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 19.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit