Avast Cleanup Premium is a PC optimization tool that scans your PC to identify unnecessary items and performance issues, freeing up disk space and improving the speed of your system.
If you are using Avast Cleanup Premium for the first time, the application opens automatically after installation and you can click Scan Now to run a Maintenance scan or click Skip to continue to the Avast Cleanup Premium dashboard.
Perform a Maintenance scan
The Maintenance scan checks your PC for the following issues:
- Broken registry items: links in your system registry that may be outdated or broken.
- Broken shortcuts: invalid shortcuts leading to non-existent files or applications.
- System junk: unncessary files (such as driver packages, temporary files, and log files) that occupy a lot of space and slow down your system.
- Browser cache: a temporary storage location on your computer that holds downloaded files (for example, picture files stored from websites).
- Tracking & other cookies: data files that record information about the websites you visit.
- Browsing & download history: the history of visited websites and downloaded files from your browser (this option only removes the list of files and does not delete any files stored on your PC).
To run a Maintenance scan:
- Click the Maintenance tile on the Avast Cleanup Premium dashboard.
- Tick the boxes next to the issue types you want to clean. The issue types that Avast ticks automatically are safe to clean without losing crucial data.
- Optionally, click a panel to view specific items on your PC, and further specify exactly which items are cleaned.
- Click Fix & Clean to resolve the selected issues.
- When cleaning is complete, click Done.
All selected issues are now resolved. You may be prompted to enable Automatic Maintenance, which automatically cleans your PC to free up disk space and remove clutter.
Speed up performance
Certain applications slow down your system by running silently in the background. Avast Cleanup Premium scans for these applications, then allows you to safely put them to sleep and boost performance.
- Click the Speed up tile on the Avast Cleanup Premium dashboard.
- Click Background & startup programs.
- A list of applications that may be slowing down your PC appears. Select one of the following options:
- Sleep: puts the individual application to sleep and removes it from the list.
- Ignore: allows the application to continue running in the background and removes it from the list.
- Put all to sleep: puts all listed applications to sleep.
The selected applications are now sleeping or ignored. You can open and use sleeping applications as normal. After you close the application, Avast Cleanup Premium automatically returns its status to sleeping.
To manage a sleeping or an ignored application:
- Click programs sleeping or programs ignored at the bottom of the Background & startup programs screen.
- Select the relevant option:
- Wake: immediately wakes the application and allows it to start running in the background.
- Stop ignoring: returns the application to your list of Background & startup programs, where you can optionally put it to sleep.
Free up space
Avast Cleanup Premium scans for and safely deletes system junk and web browser data to free up disk space.
- Click the Free up space tile on the Avast Cleanup Premium dashboard.
- Select the category that you want to clean:
- System junk: click System junk to clean unnecessary junk files on your PC.
- Browser data: click the globe icon to clean temporary web browser files.
- Use the Select recommended drop-down menu in the bottom-left corner to select files for cleaning. The following options are available:
- Select recommended: selects only file categories that you can safely clean without losing crucial data.
- Select all: selects all listed file categories. You can then manually de-select any file categories you don't want to clean.
- Select none: de-selects all listed file categories. You can then manually select the file categories you want to clean.
- Optionally, click Ignore next to any file categories that you want to remove from your list of System junk or Browser data.
The selected file categories are now cleaned. To manage an ignored file category:
- Click categories ignored at the bottom of the System junk or Browser data screen.
- Click Stop ignoring to return the file category to your list of System junk or Browser data.
Avast Cleanup Premium scans for issues that may be putting your PC at risk.
- Click the Fix problems tile on the Avast Cleanup Premium dashboard.
- The Fix problems screen may show the following types of found issues:
- Unusual system settings: configurations that may affect the reliability of your PC's behavior.
- Outdated programs: out of date commonly used software on your PC.
- Disk errors: corrupted files on your internal and external drives.
- Review the listed issues and select an action. Click the green button next to an issue to resolve it, or click Ignore to remove the issue from the list.
You can manage ignored categories at the bottom of the Fix problems screen. Click the arrow next to category ignored, and then click Stop ignoring next to the problem.
You can access Avast Cleanup Premium settings via
☰ Menu ▸ Settings. The following categories are available in the left panel:
- General: select your preferences for language, notifications, personal privacy and other options.
- Automatic Maintenance: enable or disable regular scans, and specify which items can be deleted during cleaning.
- Outdated programs: select actions for when outdated programs are detected.
The Rescue Center allows you to undo certain changes made by Avast Cleanup Premium:
- Click the Rescue Center icon on the right side of the Avast Cleanup Premium dashboard.
- Click Undo next to the action you would like to reverse.
☰Menu ▸ Settings ▸ General ▸ Rescue Center and select items to back up, which can be used to undo changes.
You can view all application functions by clicking All functions (the grid icon) on the right side of the Avast Cleanup Premium dashboard.
For detailed information included in Avast Cleanup Premium, refer to the following article:
- Avast Cleanup Premium 20.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit