Avast Cleanup for Android is available as both a free and paid version. This article contains instructions to install the free version of Avast Cleanup on your Android device. To upgrade or activate a paid version of Avast Cleanup, refer to the following article:
Before you download and install Avast Cleanup, ensure that your device meets the following minimum requirements:
- Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop, API 21) or higher.
- Internet connection to download, activate, and maintain app updates.
Install Avast Cleanup
- Download and install the latest version of Avast Cleanup for Android from Google Play Store.
- Open the app, then tap Get Started.
- Tap Basic Version to continue with the free version of the app, then if prompted, tap Continue As Free to confirm.
Avast Cleanup requires several permissions for full functionality. Follow the steps below to grant all necessary permissions.
- Tap Start Here.
- Tap Grant permissions.
- Tap Allow so that Avast Cleanup can offer optimization tips regarding photos, media, and other files on your device.
- You are directed to Usage data access. Tap Avast Cleanup, then tap the white (OFF) slider so it turns blue (ON). This allows Avast Cleanup to analyze how often you use installed apps.
- If prompted, tap the white (OFF) slider next to Allow permission so it turns blue (ON). This allows Avast Cleanup to show notifications while you use other apps.
- When directed to the Accessibility menu, tap Installed services, select Avast Cleanup, then tap the white (OFF) slider.
- Tap OK to grant Avast Cleanup additional permissions to monitor your app usage. After granting this permission, the slider next to Avast Cleanup turns blue (ON).
Run an initial scan of your device
After granting Avast Cleanup all necessary permissions, you are prompted to run an initial scan of your device.
- Tap Run the scan to trigger a deep level scan of your photos, media, and app usage.
- While the scan runs, you can optionally complete a short survey to customize optimization tips you receive from Avast Cleanup. Tap Start, then select the relevant face to indicate your interest in each individual tip type. Tip types include:
- Cleaning up unnecessary files: tips aimed to remove unnecessary files, such as thumbnails, APKS, residual files, and cache.
- Optimizing device performance: tips aimed to boost your device's speed, for example, hibernating apps running in the background.
- Providing application insights: tips relating to app usage, size, and memory consumption, for example, uninstalling large apps that you have never used.
- Providing photo and video insights: tips relating to photos and videos on your device, for example, moving old photos to cloud storage.
- Getting tips about other files: tips relating to files on your device, for example, moving large files to cloud storage.
- After you have recorded your tip preferences, You're all set! appears. Tap Continue to begin the Avast Cleanup tutorial and start cleaning your device.
Start cleaning your device
After running the initial scan, you are prompted to start the Avast Cleanup tutorial, which walks you through some of the app's main features.
- Tap Start Cleaning. Alternatively, tap the X icon to quit the tutorial and access the main Avast Cleanup screen.
- You are prompted to perform a Quick Clean. In Quick Clean Check, tick items you want to clean, then tap Finish Cleaning. Items are divided into 2 categories:
- Safe to clean: This is data that has been carefully selected to ensure that it is truly dispensable, including thumbnails, APKS, residual files, and hidden, visible, and shared cache. All categories are ticked by default as Safe to clean, except Thumbnails.
- For your consideration: This is data that may or may not be valuable to you. We recommend reviewing items included in this group and ticking only those items which are dispensable. All items are unticked by default and will not be deleted unless you manually select them for deletion.
- Wait while Avast Cleanup removes selected items from your device, then tap Next.
- Tap Start to begin hibernating apps running in the background.
- Select the apps you would like to hibernate, then tap Hibernate Apps.
- If prompted, tap Grant, then tap the white (OFF) slider next to Avast Cleanup so it turns blue (ON). This gives Avast Cleanup permission to hibernate apps in bulk.
- Wait while Avast Cleanup hibernates selected apps.
- When hibernation is complete, tap the back arrow to access the main Avast Cleanup screen.
The free version of Avast Cleanup is now installed and ready to use on your Android device. You can open the app by clicking the Avast Cleanup icon on your device's Home screen.
For more information about using the features included in Avast Cleanup, refer to the following article:
- Avast Cleanup 4.x for Android
- Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop, API 21) or higher