What is Avast BreachGuard?
Avast BreachGuard is an advanced privacy solution that prevents your personal information from being exploited online for profit.
Avast BreachGuard alerts you if your personal information is leaked online, lets you control who can store and sell your personal information, and helps you adjust your online account settings to your desired privacy level.
What is the dark web?
The dark web is a more private part of the internet that can only be accessed with an anonymizing network like the Tor browser. The extreme privacy offered by the dark web makes it the ideal environment for criminals to illegally buy and sell leaked personal information.
What is a data breach?
A data breach occurs when sensitive personal information is compromised or exposed. This leaked data can then be sold on the dark web and purchased by criminals, who may use your breached personal information to impersonate you. This can mean setting up online accounts in your name, making online purchases using your payment card details, and even committing crimes in your name.
How can I create safe passwords for my online accounts?
When creating safe passwords for your online accounts, we recommend following the guidelines below:
- The password should contain at least 10 characters, but ideally 12 or more. The more characters you use, the more secure your password is.
- The password should not be used to access any other accounts or services.
- The safest passwords are phrases rather than single words. Select a phrase that is memorable for you, but not easily predictable.
Download and Installation
How do I install Avast BreachGuard?
- Click the button below to download the Avast BreachGuard setup file, and save it to a familiar location on your PC (by default, downloaded files are saved to your Downloads folder). Download Avast BreachGuard for Windows
- Right-click the downloaded
avast_breach_guard_online_setup.exesetup file and select Run as administrator from the context menu.
- If prompted for permission by the User Account Control dialog, click Yes.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Avast BreachGuard on your PC.
Avast BreachGuard is now installed on your PC. Before you can use the application, you need to sign in to Avast BreachGuard with your Avast Account and activate your paid subscription.
- Click the button below to download the Avast BreachGuard setup file, and save it to a familiar location on your Mac (by default, downloaded files are saved to your Downloads folder). Download Avast BreachGuard for Mac
- Double-click the downloaded setup file
- Click the Avast BreachGuard icon and drag it to the Applications folder.
- Open your Applications folder and double-click the Avast BreachGuard icon.
Avast BreachGuard is now installed on your Mac. Before you can use the application, you need to log in to Avast BreachGuard with your Avast Account and activate your paid subscription.
For detailed installation and activation instructions, refer to the following articles:
What are the system requirements for Avast BreachGuard?
- Windows 10; Windows 8/8.1 except RT and Starter Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows 7 SP1 or higher, any Edition (32 or 64-bit)
- Windows fully compatible PC with Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 processor or above (must support SSE2 instructions)
- 1 GB RAM or above
- 500 MB free space on the hard disk
- Internet connection to download, activate, and use the application
- Optimally standard screen resolution no less than 1024 x 768 pixels
- Apple macOS 11.x (Big Sur), Apple macOS 10.15.x (Catalina), Apple macOS 10.14.x (Mojave), Apple macOS 10.13.x (High Sierra), Apple macOS 10.12.x (Sierra)
- Intel based Mac with 64-bit processor
- 512 MB RAM or above
- 300 MB minimum hard disk free space
- Internet connection to download, activate, and maintain application updates
- Optimally standard screen resolution no less than 1024 x 768 pixels
Subscription and Activation
How do I activate my Avast BreachGuard subscription?
Avast BreachGuard is a paid product that requires a subscription to use. You are prompted to activate your subscription directly after installing Avast BreachGuard. When the Connect to Avast Account screen appears, choose the relevant tab:
- Sign in: If you already have an Avast Account, enter your existing login credentials and click Sign in. If you have multiple Avast Accounts, ensure you enter the email address that is linked to your Avast BreachGuard purchase.
- Log in: If you already have an Avast Account, enter your existing login credentials and click Log in. If you have multiple Avast Accounts, ensure you enter the email address that is linked to your Avast BreachGuard purchase.
- Create account: If you do not yet have an Avast Account, create one by entering the email address you used to purchase Avast BreachGuard. Create a password for your new Avast Account, then click Create account.
If your email address is associated with a valid Avast BreachGuard subscription, the application activates automatically. If Avast BreachGuard does not detect a valid subscription linked to the email address you provided, you are prompted to activate the application using an activation code.
Avast BreachGuard is now activated and ready to use. For detailed activation instructions, refer to the following article:
What should I do if activation is unsuccessful?
Try one of the following solutions:
- Ensure that you are entering the credentials for the Avast Account that is linked to your Avast BreachGuard subscription. To verify this, sign in to your Avast Account in your web browser and click the Subscriptions tile to see a list of the linked subscriptions.
- If you are prompted to enter an activation code, ensure you are entering it correctly (including hyphens). For more information, refer to the following article:
- If the issue persists, contact Avast Support.
Can I use Avast BreachGuard on multiple devices and platforms?
Check the conditions for the subscription option you purchased:
- Avast BreachGuard (Multi-Device): You can activate your subscription on up to 10 devices simultaneously, regardless of platform. You can transfer your subscription freely between devices and platforms.
- Avast BreachGuard for PC: You can activate your subscription on one Windows PC. You can transfer your subscription to an alternative Windows PC, but you cannot use your Avast BreachGuard subscription on more than one PC simultaneously.
- Avast BreachGuard for Mac: You can activate your subscription on one Mac. You can transfer your subscription to an alternative Mac, but you cannot use your Avast BreachGuard subscription on more than one Mac simultaneously.
For instructions on how to transfer your subscription to another device, refer to the following article:
How can I cancel an Avast subscription?
For information about canceling an Avast subscription, refer to the following article:
Features and Usage
How do I use Avast BreachGuard?
For detailed instructions on how to use Avast BreachGuard, refer to the following article:
What is Personal Info Remover?
Personal Info Remover prevents your personal information from being exploited online for profit.
The exact functionality of Personal Info Remover differs according to your location. For more information about Personal Info Remover, refer to the following article:
Personal Info Remover is only available if you are located in the USA, Canada, or Mexico. For more information about Personal Info Remover, refer to the following article:
What is Risk Monitor?
The Risk Monitor tile on the Avast BreachGuard dashboard shows the current status of this feature:
- Active: Your online accounts are currently safe. Avast BreachGuard is actively monitoring the dark web for data breaches involving your accounts.
- Privacy threats: Your online accounts are vulnerable or breached. Click the Risk Monitor tile for more information and to resolve the detected threats.
- Inactive: You have not yet added any monitored email accounts, so Avast BreachGuard cannot check for data breaches involving your online accounts.
How do I add a new monitored email account?
Follow these steps:
- Go to
☰Menu ▸ Settings.
- Ensure Emails is selected in the left panel.
- Ensure Email is selected in the top panel.
- Click Add new email account.
- Enter the email address that you want Avast BreachGuard to monitor, then click Save.
The new email address now appears under Monitored email accounts. If you see the message check your inbox to verify, you need to go to your email inbox and verify that the email address is really yours. When the email address is successfully verified, it shows a green tick.
Which browsers are compatible with Avast BreachGuard?
Avast BreachGuard scans your web browsers for weak or duplicated passwords. Additionally, the application offers personalized tips to protect your online privacy by scanning your browsing history and bookmarks. Avast BreachGuard is compatible with the following web browsers:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Edge (version 79.0.309 and higher)
- Avast Secure Browser
- AVG Secure Browser
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
To ensure that Avast BreachGuard is protecting all of your installed browsers, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Browsers. The Browsers screen shows all of the compatible browsers that are installed on your device. To start protecting a new browser, click the red (OFF) slider next to the browser so that it changes to green (ON).
What is Advisor?
Advisor provides step-by-step advice on how to adjust the privacy settings of your major online accounts to reduce the amount of personal information you share.
To use Advisor:
- Click the Advisor tile on the Avast BreachGuard dashboard.
- Click Show details next to a listed recommendation.
- Click Show guide next to a listed recommendation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to apply the recommendation. Instructions include gifs, images, and direct links to any relevant web pages.
- After completion, click Mark as done so Avast BreachGuard does not recommend this action again.
- After completion, click Mark as complete so Avast BreachGuard does not recommend this action again.
Settings for the relevant account are now adjusted to your desired privacy level.
What is Identity Assist?
Identity Assist allows you speak to one of our Identity Assist experts free of charge 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Our experts offer two separate services depending on your needs:
- ScamAssist®: Our experts can investigate potentially fraudulent solicitations (including emails, letters, and phone calls) on your behalf.
- Identity Resolution: If you are a victim of identity theft, or you believe you may be vulnerable to identity theft, our experts can immediately take the appropriate action to remedy the situation.
For more information about Identity Assist, refer to the following article:
How can I uninstall Avast BreachGuard?
For detailed uninstallation instructions, refer to the following article:
Why does Risk Monitor show as 'inactive'?
This means that you have not yet entered any email accounts for Avast BreachGuard to monitor, so the application cannot check your online accounts for threats.
Why does Risk Monitor not detect any threats?
If Risk Monitor does not detect any vulnerable online accounts, try the following:
- Ensure all of your email addresses appear on your list of monitored email accounts. To verify your current list of monitored email accounts, go to
☰Menu ▸ Settings ▸ EmailsEmail.
- Ensure Avast BreachGuard is protecting all of your installed web browsers. To verify your current protected web browsers, go to
☰Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Browsers.
How can I report an issue to Avast Support?
Click the link below to open the Avast Technical Support form. After you submit the request, an Avast Support agent will contact you to help resolve your issue.
- Avast BreachGuard 21.x for Windows
- Avast BreachGuard 1.x for Mac
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit
- Apple macOS 11.x (Big Sur)
- Apple macOS 10.15.x (Catalina)
- Apple macOS 10.14.x (Mojave)
- Apple macOS 10.13.x (High Sierra)
- Apple macOS 10.12.x (Sierra)