In some cases, the Action Center or Security Center in Windows detects that Avast Antivirus is installed, but reports that Avast Antivirus and/or Firewall is turned off. When this issue occurs, Windows may display the following notification:
To resolve this issue, refer to the sections in this article for instructions.
Ensure that Avast Antivirus is turned on
Ensure that the following conditions are met to confirm that your Avast Antivirus is turned on and actively protecting your PC:
- Avast Antivirus is installed.
- Your Avast Antivirus subscription is active.
- The Avast Antivirus application version and virus definitions are up-to-date.
- Avast Antivirus reports that This computer is protected.
For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
Ensure that Firewall is installed and turned on
To determine whether Firewall is installed and enabled:
- Open Avast Antivirus and go to
☰Menu ▸ Settings.
- Select Protection in the left panel, then click Firewall.
- Check that Firewall is enabled (green).
Enable Avast Antivirus and/or Firewall in the Action Center
If Avast Antivirus is properly installed, activated, up-to-date, and actively protecting your PC, try to enable Avast Antivirus and/or Firewall directly in the Action / Security Center.
- Click the Security and Maintenance notification.
- Click Turn on Avast Antivirus (or Turn on Avast Firewall).
- Click Yes, I trust the publisher and I want to run this app.
Scan and repair the WMI Repository
The Action Center / Security Center acquires information about the current status of installed antivirus software by using Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). If there is a problem in the WMI Repository, or the WMI service is not started, the Action Center reports outdated or misleading information.
To resolve this issue, scan and repair the WMI Repository by following the steps in the article below:
- Avast Omni 1.x
- Avast Premium Security 20.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 20.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 2, 32 / 64-bit