Avast Secure Browser retrieves updates automatically to protect your security and privacy online. To check that your Avast Secure Browser version is up to date, follow these steps:
- Click the
⋮Menu icon in the top-right corner of your Avast Secure Browser window, then select Help and About Avast Secure Browser ▸ About Avast Secure Browser.
- From the About Avast Secure Browser screen, you can confirm that Secure Browser is up-to-date and view your current version number.
If Avast Secure Browser is having problems retrieving updates, you might see one of the following error messages:
- Update failed: Updates are disabled by administrator.
- Update failed An error occurred while checking for updates: Update server not available.
- Update failed An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start.
- Update failed An error occurred while checking for updates: Download failed.
- This computer will no longer receive Chrome updates because Windows XP and Windows Vista are no longer supported.
You may also see other error messages that mention 'update failed'.
To resolve this issue, try these possible fixes:
Download Avast Secure Browser again
It's possible that some files are missing on your computer. To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Log in to Windows as a user with administrator permissions.
- Uninstall Avast Secure Browser.
- Make sure your PC meets the system requirements for Avast Secure Browser.
- Reinstall Avast Secure Browser.
- If the error message continues to appear, try the standalone installer
Reboot your PC
The update might not have completed on your PC. Try rebooting your PC and then check whether your Avast Secure Browser version is up to date by following the steps described at the start of this article.
Check for malware
Unwanted malware might stop Avast Secure Browser from updating correctly. Scan for harmful software using Avast AntiVirus:
- Open the Avast Antivirus user interface and click Protection ▸ Scans.
- Run a Full Virus Scan to check your PC for unwanted malware.
- The Full Virus Scan may take several minutes. Once the scan is complete, you can view any issues on your PC and select an action. Actions include permanently deleting the malicious file, attempting to repair the file, or moving the file to Virus Chest.
For more detailed information about scanning your PC with Avast Antivirus, refer to the following article:
If you don't have Avast Antivirus installed on your PC, download it for free.
Make sure your PC meets the system requirements for Avast Secure Browser
Avast Secure Browser is not supported by and cannot be run on the following operating systems:
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
If your Avast Secure Browser is still unable to recieve updates, contact Avast Support.
- Avast Secure Browser
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit