What is Avast Secure Browser?
Avast Secure Browser is a newly designed and improved version of Avast SafeZone Browser. In addition to many of the SafeZone Browser features, Avast Secure Browser now includes the Security & Privacy Center. The Security & Privacy Center is a collection of tools and features which enable you to understand and manage your online activity and safety.
What happened to my SafeZone Browser?
SafeZone Browser has been upgraded to Avast Secure Browser. The newly designed Avast Secure Browser still has the main SafeZone Browser functionality and many of the old SafeZone Browser features, but now includes the Security & Privacy Center which provides extra security tools, settings, and features.
How do I open Avast Secure Browser?
You can open Avast Secure Browser in the following ways:
- Double-click the desktop shortcut icon
- Click the taskbar icon
- Click the Start menu shortcut
What is the Security & Privacy Center?
The Security & Privacy Center is a console of tools, features, and settings which allow you to understand and manage your online activity.
When you go to the Security & Privacy Center, you can view and select which tools to use and decide how you want to configure Avast Secure Browser. By using these tools, you not only create a more secure and private browser, but also a more secure PC. Access the Security & Privacy Center by clicking the orange Avast icon in the top-right corner of Avast Secure Browser.
What is Avast Antivirus?
Avast Antivirus protects you in real-time against viruses, ransomware, spyware, and other malware. Once installed, the antivirus runs silently in the background to prevent threats on your PC.
The Avast Antivirus tile in the Security & Privacy Center detects if the Avast Antivirus software is installed on your PC. If the Avast Antivirus software is not installed, Secure Browser gives you the option to install it.
What is Default Browser?
The Default Browser feature allows you to select Avast Secure Browser to automatically open a web page or web link. To access this feature, go to the Security & Privacy Center.
What is AdBlock?
AdBlock stops advertisements from loading on the webpages you visit which improves the speed and safety of your browsing sessions. AdBlock is enabled by default. To disable the feature, go to the Security & Privacy Center and click the slider so that it changes from green to gray.
What is Password Manager?
The Password Manager feature in Avast Secure Browser allows you to select a password manager. A password manager securely stores your passwords in one location while you only have to remember one master password. To select a password manager, go to the Security & Privacy Center and use the drop-down menu on the Password Manager tile to select which password manager you want to use.
What is Anti-phishing?
Anti-phishing blocks malicious websites and phishing attempts while you browse the web. It also prevents you from downloading potentially malicious content from the web to keep you from unknowingly infecting your PC. Anti-phishing is enabled by default. To disable this feature, go to the Security & Privacy Center and click the slider on the Anti-phishing tile so that it changes from green to gray.
What is SecureLine VPN?
VPN refers to a Virtual Private Network. SecureLine VPN functions as a private tunnel through the internet which encrypts your data and secures your connection when using public Wi-Fi connections such as those in cafes or airports. To enable SecureLine VPN, go to the Security & Privacy Center and click the slider on the SecureLine VPN tile so that it changes to green.
To change the VPN location, use the drop-down menu and select your preferred location. Changing the VPN location can be useful to bypass geolocation restrictions or to access your favorite content while traveling.
What is Stealth Mode?
Stealth Mode, sometimes referred to as privacy mode or incognito mode, is a privacy feature that prevents your browsing history from being stored and deletes any tracking cookies or web caches you acquire during your Stealth Mode browsing session.
To open a web page in Stealth Mode, go to the Security & Privacy Center and click Launch on the Stealth Mode tile.
What is HTTPS Encryption?
HTTPS (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure) is a more secure version of the standard HTTP connection. HTTPS adds encryption which prevents others from eavesdropping, and helps ensure that you are connected to the intended server. The HTTPS Encryption feature in Avast Secure Browser ensures that each website you visit uses an HTTPS connection. To enable this feature, go to the Security & Privacy Center and click the slider on the HTTPS Encryption tile so that it changes to green.
What is Anti-tracking?
The Anti-tracking feature protects your privacy by preventing websites, analytics companies, advertising networks, and other web services from tracking your online activity. It also uses filters to completely remove web bugs, tracking scripts, and other information collectors from the sites you visit. To enable this feature, go to the Security & Privacy Center and click the slider on the Anti-tracking tile so that it changes from gray to green.
What is Privacy Cleaner?
Privacy Cleaner clears your browsing history as well as other data stored in your browsers, such as cached images and cookies. This protects your privacy and clears disk space on your PC. To use Privacy Cleaner to clear your history, go to the Security & Privacy Center and click Shred Data on the Privacy Cleaner tile.
What is Extension Guard?
Extension Guard prevents untrusted extensions (also known as add-ons and plug-ins) from being installed in Avast Secure Browser and allows you to install safe, trusted extensions. This feature is enabled by default. To disable Extension Guard, go to the Security & Privacy Center and click the slider on the Extension Guard tile so that it changes from green to gray.
What is Flash Protect?
Flash based content opens your PC to security vulnerabilities, takes up space on your PC, and can use a large percentage of your PC's battery life. The Flash Protect feature blocks Flash-based content from running on your PC unless you choose to allow it.
What is Bank Mode?
Bank Mode provides a virtual desktop which acts as a safe and clean PC within your real PC. This protects against a potentially hijacked host or network and prevents keyloggers and network-based eavesdropping from capturing any of your data. We recommend using Bank Mode each time you want to access a banking website.
To access Bank Mode, go to the Security & Privacy Center. To enable Bank Mode to activate each time you visit a banking site, click the slider on the Bank Mode tile so that it changes from gray to green. To manually open Bank Mode, click the credit card icon in the top-right corner of the main Avast Secure Browser screen.
How do I pin applications to the Bank Mode taskbar?
To add your favorite applications to the Bank Mode taskbar, follow these steps:
- Click the credit card icon to launch Bank Mode.
- Click the + symbol on the Bank Mode taskbar.
- Select the application you want to add, then click Open.
- In the Add Application dialog that appears, click Add to confirm.
The application's icon appears on the Bank Mode taskbar. Click the relevant icon to launch your application. To remove an application, right-click the application’s icon and select Unpin this program from the taskbar.
How do I change the browser’s language?
To change the language of Secure Browser, follow these steps:
- Click the menu icon (three dots) in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Show advanced settings...
- Scroll to the Language section and click Language and input settings.
- In the Languages dialog which appears, click Add and select your preferred language from the drop-down menu, then click OK.
- Click your preferred language and click Display Avast Secure Browser in this language.
- Click Done, then close Secure Browser and re-open it. After restarting Secure Browser, your selected language is displayed.
How do I clear my browsing history?
To clear your browsing history, follow these steps:
- Click the orange Avast icon in the top-right corner of the screen to launch the Security & Privacy Center.
- Click Shred Data on the Privacy Cleaner tile.
- In the new Privacy Cleaner window that appears, select your preferences.
- Click Clear browsing data.
How do I make Avast Secure Browser my default browser?
To make Secure Browser your default browser, click the orange Avast icon to access the Security & Privacy Center. Navigate to the Default Browser tile and click Make default.
How can I import bookmarks and other settings from my other browsers?
Secure Browser allows you to import browsing history, bookmarks, saved passwords, cookies, and more from your other browsers. If you want a more seamless experience between your browsers, importing browsing data can catch Secure Browser up with what you've been doing in other apps. To import browser data, follow these steps:
- Click the menu icon (three dots) in the top-right corner of the screen and select Settings.
- Scroll to the Bookmarks and Data section and click Import bookmarks and settings....
- Select the browser you want to import data from using the drop-down menu, then tick the relevant boxes according to which type of data you want to import.
- Click Import, then click Done.
You can import browser data from Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome.
How can I change the default search provider?
To change the default search provider, follow these steps:
- Click the menu icon (three dots) in the top-right corner of the screen and select Settings.
- Scroll to the Search section and select your preferred search engine from the drop-down menu.
What should I do if Avast Secure Browser crashes or won't open?
If Avast Secure Browser crashes or won't open, try the following troubleshooting options:
- Close Avast Secure Browser and re-open it by double-clicking the Avast Secure Browser icon on your desktop.
- Restart your PC.
How do I uninstall Avast Secure Browser?
To uninstall Avast Secure Browser, follow the steps below according to your version of Windows:
- Open Avast Antivirus and go to Settings ▸ Components.
- Click the downward facing arrow next to Avast Secure Browser to expand the panel.
- Click Uninstall component, then click OK to confirm.
- Avast Secure Browser
- Avast Ultimate 17.x
- Avast Premier 17.x
- Avast Internet Security 17.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 17.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 17.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit