When you contact Avast Support with a technical or malware-related issue, you may be asked to upload specific files from your PC to the Avast FTP server for further analysis.
Refer to the sections in this article for instructions.
Compress requested files to a password-protected archive
Before you upload a requested file to the Avast FTP server, compress the file to an archive (for example, a .zip, .rar, or .7z file) using the password virus.
- Download and run the installer for 7-Zip from www.7-zip.org to install the free file archiver on your PC.
- Select and right-click all requested files and, from the context menu, select 7-Zip ▸ Add to archive.
- Under the heading Archive, provide a unique filename, such as your email address, to identify your archive on our FTP server.
- Under the heading Encryption, provide the password virus.
- Click OK to create the compressed archive.
The newly compressed archive is located in the same folder as the original files.
Upload an archive to the Avast FTP server
|File protocol:||Encryption:||Host name:||Port number:||Login (username/password):||Directory:|
|FTP||no encryption||ftp.avast.com||21||anonymous (anonymous/anonymous)||/incoming|
|File Transfer Protocol||Used by default||Avast FTP server||Used by default||Arbitrary username and password||Upload folder on Avast FTP server|
- Ensure that you notify us each time you upload a file to our FTP server to ensure that the files are retrieved promptly.
- Only upload files to our FTP server that have been requested by Avast Support representatives.
- You are unable to see any content in our FTP server, including any files you upload, because you have write-only privileges.
If you do not have FTP software, follow these steps:
- Download and run the installer for WinSCP from www.winscp.net to install free FTP client software on your PC (keep the setup defaults while installing).
- Double-click the WinSCP icon on your desktop to run the FTP client.
- On the WinSCP Login screen, change File protocol to FTP, provide the credentials from the table above, and click Login to connect to the Avast FTP server.
- When the connection to Avast FTP server is established, double-click the incoming folder on the right side of the WinSCP screen.
- Locate the archive with the requested files on the left side of the WinSCP screen, right-click it, and select Upload... from the context menu.
- Click OK to upload the archive to the incoming folder on the Avast FTP server.
Provide the filename and password of the archive to Avast Support
After uploading an archive to the Avast FTP server, ensure that you notify Avast Support of the filename and password for the archive. Without this notification, we may be unable to locate your archive on our FTP server and analyze your files.
If you are not already in contact with us, submit a ticket to Avast Support. Include the following details in your message:
- Customer or Order Number
- Version of your Avast Antivirus program and virus definitions (VPS)
- Windows operating system version
- Filename and password of the uploaded archive
- Details of your issue
- All available Avast software products
- All supported operating systems