Bank Mode is a feature in Avast Secure Browser that provides a virtual desktop, which acts as a clean, safe PC within your real PC. The Bank Mode virtual desktop protects you against injection of malicious scripts, keystroke logging, and screenshot attempts by third-party apps. We recommend using Bank Mode each time you want to access a banking website or pay online.
Install Avast Secure Browser
To use Bank Mode, you need both Avast Antivirus and Avast Secure Browser installed on your PC.
For detailed instructions to install your preferred version of Avast Antivirus, refer to the relevant article below:
For detailed instructions to install Avast Secure Browser, refer to the following article:
Open Bank Mode
You can open Bank Mode using one of the methods below:
- Open Avast Secure Browser and go to
⋮Menu (three dots) ▸ New Bank Mode Window.
- Right-click the Avast Antivirus icon in your system tray and select Run Bank Mode.
- Open Avast Secure Browser and click the green Security & Privacy Center icon to the right of the address bar. Click Open on the Bank Mode tile.
Manage Bank Mode
Switch between Bank Mode and Secure Browser
- Click the Standard desktop button in the bottom-left corner of the Bank Mode virtual desktop to return to Avast Secure Browser.
- Click the Bank Mode button in the bottom-right corner of the Avast Secure Browser screen to return to the Bank Mode virtual desktop.
Pin an application to the Bank Mode taskbar
- Click the
+plus icon in the bottom-left corner of the Bank Mode virtual desktop.
- Select the application you want to add to the Bank Mode taskbar, then click Open.
- Click OK in the confirmation dialog that appears.
- To remove an application from the Bank Mode taskbar, right-click the application icon on the taskbar, then click Unpin this program from the taskbar.
Turn off Bank Mode
- Click Close in the bottom-left corner of the Bank Mode virtual desktop.
- Click Close in the confirmation dialog that appears.
Although we recommend using Bank Mode for all online payments and banking websites, you can configure some settings within Bank Mode. To access Bank Mode settings:
- Double-click the Avast Secure Browser icon on your Windows desktop to open the browser.
- Click the green Security & Privacy Center icon to the right of the address bar.
- Click the Bank Mode tile.
- Click Advanced settings on the screen that appears.
- On the Bank Mode settings screen, you can configure the following settings:
- Show Bank Mode notification prompt on banking websites (enabled by default): Enables Bank Mode to show you a notification banner at the top of your screen when you visit a banking website. Click Open in Bank Mode on the notification banner to open the website with the Bank Mode virtual desktop, and keep your financial data protected.
- Automatically open Bank Mode on the following websites: Enables Bank Mode to open automatically when you visit specific websites. Click Add, type the URL for the website, and click Add again to confirm.
- Don't show Bank Mode notification prompt on the following websites: Prevents Bank Mode from showing a notification banner when you visit specific websites. Click Add, type the URL for the website, and click Add again to confirm.
If you have trouble opening Bank Mode, try closing and then re-opening the browser. If the issue persists, we recommend the following:
- Open Avast Secure Browser, enter
secure://extensionsin the address bar, then press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Click the OFF slider next to Developer mode so that it changes to ON.
- Click the Update button.
- After you see the Extensions updated message at the bottom of the screen, try again to open Bank Mode.
Bank Mode should open normally now. If the issue persists, try one of the possible solutions below:
- Open Bank Mode using a different method.
- Ensure the latest version of your Avast Antivirus application is installed on your PC. For instructions, refer to the following article:
- Repair your Avast Antivirus application. For instructions, refer to the following article:
- Uninstall and then reinstall Avast Secure Browser.
- Avast Secure Browser 88.x for Windows
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1 with Convenient Rollup Update, 32 / 64-bit