Avast Cleanup Premium is a PC optimization tool that scans your PC to identify unnecessary items and performance issues, freeing up disk space and improving the speed of your system.
If you are using Avast Cleanup Premium for the first time, the application opens automatically after installation and you can click Scan Now to run a Maintenance scan or click Skip to continue to the Avast Cleanup Premium dashboard.
Perform a Maintenance scan
The Maintenance scan is a comprehensive check of your system that detects broken or redundant items and tracking data.
- Click the Maintenance tile on the Avast Cleanup Premium dashboard.
- Tick the boxes next to the issue types you want to clean. The issue types that Avast ticks automatically are safe to clean without losing crucial data.
- Optionally, click a panel to view specific items on your PC, and further specify exactly which items are cleaned.
- Click Fix & Clean to resolve the selected issues.
- When cleaning is complete, click Done.
All selected issues are now resolved. If you are using Avast Cleanup Premium for the first time, you may be prompted to enable Automatic Maintenance.
Manage background applications
Certain applications slow down your system by running silently in the background. Avast Cleanup Premium scans for these applications, then allows you to safely put them to sleep and boost performance.
- Click the Speed up tile on the Avast Cleanup Premium dashboard.
- Click Background & startup programs.
- A list of applications that may be slowing down your PC appears. Select one of the following options:
- Sleep: puts the individual application to sleep and removes it from the list.
- Ignore: allows the application to continue running in the background and removes it from the list.
- Put all to sleep: puts all listed applications to sleep.
The selected applications are now sleeping or ignored. You can open and use sleeping applications as normal. After you close the application, Avast Cleanup Premium automatically returns its status to sleeping.
To manage a sleeping or an ignored application:
- Click programs sleeping or programs ignored at the bottom of the Background & startup programs screen.
- Select the relevant option:
- Wake: immediately wakes the application and allows it to start running in the background.
- Stop ignoring: returns the application to your list of Background & startup programs, where you can optionally put it to sleep.
Free up space
Avast Cleanup Premium scans for and safely deletes system junk and web browser data to free up disk space.
- Click the Free up space tile on the Avast Cleanup Premium dashboard.
- Select the category that you want to clean:
- System junk: click System junk to clean unnecessary junk files on your PC.
- Browser data: click the globe icon to clean temporary web browser files.
- Use the Select recommended drop-down menu in the bottom-left corner to select files for cleaning. The following options are available:
- Select recommended: selects only file categories that you can safely clean without losing crucial data.
- Select all: selects all listed file categories. You can then manually de-select any file categories you don't want to clean.
- Select none: de-selects all listed file categories. You can then manually select the file categories you want to clean.
- Optionally, click Ignore next to any file categories that you want to remove from your list of System junk or Browser data.
The selected file categories are now cleaned. To manage an ignored file category:
- Click categories ignored at the bottom of the System junk or Browser data screen.
- Click Stop ignoring to return the file category to your list of System junk or Browser data.
The Rescue Center allows you to undo certain changes made by Avast Cleanup Premium:
- Click the Rescue Center icon on the right side of the Avast Cleanup Premium dashboard.
- Click Undo next to the action you want to reverse.
The selected action is now reversed.
You can view all application functions by clicking All functions (the grid icon) on the right side of the Avast Cleanup Premium dashboard.
For more information about Avast Cleanup Premium, refer to the following article:
- Avast Cleanup Premium 20.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit