macOS versions 10.13 or higher require user approval before loading new, third-party kernel extensions. Avast Security, Avast Premium Security, and Avast Omni use kernel extensions for the Core Shields real-time protection features. To ensure that your Avast product can fully protect your system, you need to manually allow Avast Software extensions.
Allow Avast Software extensions
After installing Avast Security, Avast Premium Security, or Avast Omni, you may see the status message This Mac is in passive mode. This is because the Core Shields are disabled due to the Avast Software extensions being blocked by your macOS. To allow Avast Software extensions, follow the instructions below:
- Open Security & Privacy preferences using one of the methods below:
- Click Core Shields, then select Open Preferences.
- Open System Preferences from the Dock or the Apple menu, then double-click Security & Privacy.
- Ensure the General tab is selected.
- Click the lock icon, enter your Administrator Password and click Unlock, then click Allow.
- Close the Security & Privacy preferences window.
- Avast Security 12.9 for Mac or higher
- Avast Premium Security 14.x for Mac or higher
- Avast Omni 1.x for Mac
- Apple macOS 10.15.x (Catalina)
- Apple macOS 10.14.x (Mojave)
- Apple macOS 10.13.x (High Sierra)