macOS versions 10.13 or higher require user approval before loading new, third-party kernel extensions. Avast Security uses kernel extensions for the Core Shields real-time protection features. To ensure that Avast Security can fully protect your system, you need to manually allow Avast Software extensions.
Allow Avast Software extensions
After installing Avast Security, you may see the status message This Mac is in passive mode. This is because the Core Shields are disabled due to the Avast Software extensions being blocked by your macOS. To allow Avast Software extensions, follow the instructions below:
- Click Core Shields the select Open Preferences. Alternatively, open System Preferences from the Dock or the Apple menu, then open Security & Privacy.
- Ensure the General tab is selected.
- Click Allow next to System software from developer "AVAST Software a.s." was blocked from loading.
The Core Shields are turned on and you can close the Security & Privacy window.
- Avast Security 12.9 for Mac or higher
- Avast Security Pro 12.9 for Mac or higher
- Avast Premium Security 14.x for Mac or higher
- Apple macOS 10.14.x (Mojave)
- Apple macOS 10.13.x (High Sierra)