One or more Avast Antivirus program components (such as the Shields or Firewall) may display the stopped status and cannot be started manually via the Avast Antivirus user interface.
This is usually caused by limited or inconsistent permissions to write to disk, system folders, or Windows registry, which prevents Avast Setup from installing, updating, deleting, or overwriting some of its program files and/or registry entries. If any of these files/entries are corrupted or missing, it may result in the malfunction of Avast Antivirus, or some of its components.
Although some of the steps in this article may require advanced technical knowledge, performing them is necessary to fully resolve the Avast Antivirus component issues and prevent them from happening in the future.
- Avast Omni 1.x
- Avast Premium Security 20.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 20.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1 with Convenient Rollup Update, 32 / 64-bit