Avast Mobile Security for Android is a security app which secures mobile devices against unwanted phishing, malware, and spyware, as well as malicious viruses such as trojans. In addition, the embedded Anti-Theft feature allows you to locate and track your lost or stolen device on a map with our web-based mobile tracking that uses GPS and other triangulation methods.
This article answers common questions related to the features, settings, and general use of Avast Mobile Security for Android.
Download and Installation
What are the system requirements for Avast Mobile Security for Android?
You can install and run the latest version of Avast Mobile Security on any device running operating systems Google Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean, API 16) and higher.
Avast Mobile Security supports both Android phones and tablets. The app is compatible with all ARM Android devices. However, each vendor or manufacturer makes slight changes in their devices, so some features may behave unexpectedly or, in rare cases, not work. Please note that Avast cannot cover all vendor customizations to the OS. However, we gladly accept feedback if you experience any compatibility issues on your Android device.
If you are using a custom ROM, the app may not work as expected. Please report any feedback via Avast Support pages.
- Not supported on devices running Google Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich, API 15) or lower. However, if you are using an older version of Avast Mobile Security on those systems, you can still receive updates to the virus database.
- Not supported and cannot be installed or run on Symbian, iOS, Microsoft Windows Phone/Mobile, Bada, WebOS, or any mobile operating system other than Android. This app does not work on iPhone or iPad devices.
How can I download and install Avast Mobile Security on Android?
Avast Mobile Security for Android devices is available for download from the Google Play Store.
- Open Google Play Store from the main screen on your Android device and search for
Avast Mobile Security.
- Open the Avast Mobile Security page from the search results.
- Tap Install, and if asked for permissions, select Accept.
- Once the installation is complete, select Open to run the app.
- Tap Get Started and then select Continue With Ads to continue using the free version of Avast Mobile Security, or tap Upgrade Now to get Avast Mobile Security Pro for additional features and functions.
Avast Mobile Security for Android is now installed and ready to use.
If you are experiencing issues with your current installation of Avast Mobile Security, we recommend that you fully uninstall the app and then reinstall Avast Mobile Security by repeating the steps above.
How can I uninstall Avast Mobile Security from Android?
Uninstall the app by searching for
Avast Mobile Security in the Google Play Store and tapping Uninstall from the app info screen.
If you are experiencing issues with uninstalling the app, ensure that you have deactivated the Device Administrators permission granted for the app in your Android Settings. To do this, open Settings from the main screen of your Android device, search for
Device Admin and untick Avast Mobile Security. To fully uninstall the app, follow these additional steps:
- Open Settings from the main screen of your Android device.
- Select Apps, then Avast Mobile Security.
- Tap Force Stop.
- In the Storage section, tap Clear data and Clear cache.
- Select Uninstall and tap OK to confirm.
Avast Mobile Security is no longer installed on your Android device.
What is the Scan option?
The Scan option enables you to scan all applications installed on your device and informs you about security risks caused by changes in default Android settings.
The virus definitions used by the scan are updated automatically. To manually update them, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Updates ▸ Check for update.
Avast Mobile Security automatically scans newly installed applications the first time they are run. If the app detects malware on your device, the system offers to uninstall the application or to delete the file. If the app incorrectly identifies an application or file as malware, report the false-positive detection directly to Avast Threat Labs.
To schedule automatic scans, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Protection ▸ Scheduled scan.
What is the Boost RAM option?
Tap Boost RAM to kill any apps running in the background of your device. This action prevents your apps from slowing down your device and draining your battery. When complete, the amount of freed space and number of killed apps is displayed.
What is the Clean Junk option?
When you tap Clean Junk, Avast Mobile Security analyzes the space on your device and displays the amount of storage space that is being used by junk files. You can view the specific types of junk files that have been detected by tapping the Safe clean tile. Untick any items that you don't want to be cleaned, then free space on your device by tapping Clean.
This feature cleans three types of files:
- Temporary app files: temporary data which can be deleted with no impact on app functionality.
- Advertisement cache: data from folders where ad systems save their resources.
- Used installation files: APK files used by sources other than Google Play.
To free up further space, install the Avast Cleanup app directly from the Safe clean results screen.
What is the Scan Wi-Fi option?
Scan Wi-Fi enables you to scan your network for problems with the router, encryption, Wi-Fi, and connection.
What is the Check Speed option?
Once the Wi-Fi network that you are currently connected to has already been scanned for problems using Scan Wi-Fi, the Scan Wi-Fi tile becomes Check Speed. When you tap Check Speed, the app measures and rates your network's current download and upload speeds.
What is App Locking?
App Locking is a paid feature in Avast Mobile Security Pro for Android, which protects your sensitive apps with a PIN, pattern, or fingerprint. App Locking requires you to enable the Usage Access permission in the security settings of your device (on Android 5 and higher). If your device is configured to unlock the screen by using a fingerprint, you can also use this option for App Locking. To enable this feature, follow these steps:
- Go to
☰Menu ▸ App Locking.
- Tap the slider so it changes to ON to enable App Locking.
- Tap the slider next to an app you want to protect so that it changes to ON. Locked apps appear under Protected apps. Unlocked apps appear under either Recommended to lock or Unprotected apps.
Once App Locking is enabled, modify your App Locking settings by tapping
⋮ Menu (three dots) in the top-right corner of the App Locking menu. The following options are available:
- Select PIN & pattern to create or change the PIN.
- Select App locking timeout to specify when apps are locked.
App Locking is now configured and ready to use. To disable it, tap the slider at the top of the App Locking menu so it changes to OFF.
What is Anti-Theft?
Anti-Theft is designed to protect your private mobile data and help you recover your device in the case of loss or theft. You can configure Anti-Theft to automatically perform certain actions, for example, to sound an alarm if an untrusted SIM card is detected. To configure your settings for Anti-Theft, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Anti-Theft. When you upgrade to the paid version of Avast Mobile Security for Android, you can also use three additional options that help you protect and locate your lost or stolen device:
- Capture a photo of the thief when an incorrect PIN is entered.
- Lock your device when the SIM card is changed.
- Secretly record the phone's surroundings at any time.
For more information about Anti-Theft, refer to the following article:
What is Photo Vault?
Photo Vault allows you to protect access to your photos with a PIN code. Photos that are moved to the Photo Vault are encrypted and hidden. Open Photo Vault by selecting
☰ Menu ▸ Photo Vault. To add a photo to the Photo Vault, tap Add (the plus icon) and select one of the following options:
- Take new photo: allows you to take photos and directly add them to the Photo Vault.
- Take a photo with your camera.
- Tap OK to place the photo in the Vault, or tap Retry to take the photo again.
- Import from gallery: allows you to select photos from your existing gallery.
- Tick the photo(s) that you want to protect.
- Tap Hide now.
If you want to remove photos from the Photo Vault, tick the photo(s) and tap the relevant icon at the top of the screen:
- Export icon: exports a photo back to the original location and makes it visible to others.
- Trash icon: removes a photo from the Vault and from the original location. This step cannot be undone.
If you forget your PIN:
- When you are asked to enter your PIN, tap
⋮Menu (three dots) in the top-right corner and select Reset PIN.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your PIN using your Google Account credentials.
In the free version of Avast Mobile Security for Android, you can protect up to 50 photos. To secure an unlimited number of photos, upgrade to the paid version of Avast Mobile Security for Android.
What is Wi-Fi Security?
Wi-Fi Security allows you to scan your network for problems with the router, encryption, Wi-Fi, and connection. When this action is complete, the app advises you whether the network is safe and notifies you of potential threats. Wi-Fi Security describes the issue in detail and offers a solution. You can connect to a network from Wi-Fi Security and run a scan, or scan a network that your device is already connected to.
What is Wi-Fi Speed?
The Wi-Fi Speed option checks the download and upload speed of the Wi-Fi network that you are connected to.
What is Power Save?
Power Save allows you to adjust a range of settings that may reduce your device's battery consumption. Access power save by selecting
☰ Menu ▸ Power Save, then tap Activate Power Save to enable Power Save. Tap Power Save Settings to configure how your device behaves when Power Save is activated, alternatively you can use the default configuration.
If Avast Battery Saver is also installed on your device, manage your power-saving settings using this app.
What is Call Blocker?
Call Blocker enables you to block calls from blacklisted numbers. You can choose to blacklist calls from:
- All unknown numbers.
- All hidden numbers.
- A chosen contact from your contacts list.
- A chosen number from your call log.
- A chosen number which you have entered manually into the app.
To access Call Blocker, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Call Blocker. When a call is blocked, the caller is automatically redirected to voice mail.
View a list of calls which have been blocked by tapping History in the Call Blocker menu.
What is App Permissions?
App Permissions allows you to view which permissions are required by each of your installed apps. App permissions determine what the app can do and which information it can access on your device. For example, an app may require permission to see your device contacts or location.
Access App Permissions by selecting
☰ Menu ▸ App Permissions. When you tap App Permissions, a list of all apps installed on your device appears. Tap any app to see the following information about the app:
- The version number of the app and amount of space it occupies on your device.
- Details of the permissions required by the app.
- Details of any known ad networks that the app is connected to.
You can also uninstall non-system apps from your device using this feature.
What is Firewall?
Firewall allows you to manage internet access for your installed apps. To access Firewall, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Firewall. The Firewall menu shows a list of apps installed on your device. Tap any app then select one of the following options:
- Block all: the app is completely blocked, regardless of the type of connection.
- Block mobile data: the app only works if the device is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi.
To increase Firewall priority, select
⋮ Menu (three dots) ▸ Settings in the top-right corner of the screen, then tap the slider next to Take highest priority so that it changes to ON. This setting is useful if this component does not work on your device when a mobile data limit is enabled.
What is SMS Shield?
SMS Shield is an additional security layer that warns you when you receive an SMS message containing a malicious URL. Due to Android system restrictions, a message itself cannot be blocked or modified, so showing an alert is the only way to protect you in this case. Additionally, SMS Shield warns you when you receive an SMS message from a phone number which is a known malware distributor or spammer (by looking up the sender in our database of known malicious phone numbers, which is based on the experience of other users). If a phone number or link is wrongly considered a threat, contact Avast Support and describe your issue.
To turn on SMS Shield, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Protection, then tap the slider next to SMS Shield so that it changes to ON.
We may share anonymized data about URL distribution or messaging campaigns with third parties. If you do not want to share your data, you can configure your privacy settings at any time by tapping
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Personal Privacy.
What is Data Usage?
Data Usage monitors your data consumption and helps you avoid additional charges by notifying you when you approach the limit. To manage Data Usage, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Data Usage and specify or check the following:
- Data package size: set your data package size.
- Day of month to reset: select the day when your data is reset every month.
- Recommended daily limit: this is automatically calculated from the cycle limit.
Additionally, Data Usage can be set to display an alert each time you exceed the daily limit or reach the cycle limit, and to show you statistics about the current data usage cycle. To manage Data Usage alerts, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Notifications & alerts and tap Data Usage alerts.
What is the Avast Account?
The Avast Account is a portal where you can manage all Avast subscriptions that are registered to your email address. These subscriptions can be for any Avast product across all of your devices. The Avast Account also allows you to use the Anti-Theft feature to control your mobile device remotely.
For more information, refer to the following article:
What are the benefits of upgrading to Avast Mobile Security Pro for Android?
Avast Mobile Security for Android is available as both a free and paid version. When you upgrade to Avast Mobile Security Pro, you can take advantage of the following premium features and enhancements:
- Remove ads: eliminate third-party ads from your Mobile Security experience.
- App Locking: protect access to your apps with a PIN.
- Anti-Theft: use three additional options that help you protect and locate your lost or stolen device.
- Capture a photo of the thief when an incorrect PIN is entered.
- Lock your device when the SIM card is changed.
- Secretly record the phone's surroundings at any time.
- Avast Direct Support: receive fast (or prioritized) responses to your support inquiries.
What features are included in the other paid versions of Avast Mobile Security for Android?
In addition to Avast Mobile Security Pro for Android, we also offer the following paid products:
- Avast Mobile Pro Plus: comes with all features included in Avast Mobile Security Pro for Android, and additionally includes Avast Cleanup Pro for Android (each for use on up to 5 Android devices).
- Avast Mobile Ultimate: comes with all features included in Avast Mobile Pro Plus, and additionally includes either the VPN feature within Avast Mobile Security for Android, or Avast SecureLine VPN for Android (for use on up to 5 Android devices simultaneously).
- Avast Ultimate Multi: comes with all features included in Avast Mobile Ultimate, and additionally includes Avast SecureLine VPN for Windows and Mac (for use on up to 5 devices or PCs simultaneously), Avast Premier and Avast Cleanup Premium (each for use on 1 Windows PC), and Avast Security Pro and Avast Cleanup Pro (each for use on 1 Mac).
How do I purchase and activate a paid version of Avast Mobile Security on Android?
The paid versions of Avast Mobile Security are available as an upgrade from the free version of Avast Mobile Security. To purchase and activate a paid version, follow these steps:
- Tap Upgrade in the top-right corner of the app interface.
- Tap Monthly or Yearly, depending on your preferred subscription plan.
- Select a paid version of Avast Mobile Security.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the transaction.
When the transaction completes, your paid version of Avast Mobile Security is automatically activated on your device. Your purchased subscription is valid across all devices which have Avast Mobile Security installed and are connected to your Google account.
Is my subscription for the paid version of Avast Mobile Security also valid for other paid Avast apps?
If you purchase Avast Mobile Security Pro for Android, your subscription is only valid for this app. Avast Mobile Pro Plus, Ultimate, and Ultimate Multi also include a subscription for other paid Avast apps.
What happens if I upgrade to Avast Mobile Pro Plus, Ultimate, or Ultimate Multi from my current subscription?
When you upgrade from one paid version of Avast Mobile Security to another (for example, from Avast Mobile Security Pro to Avast Mobile Ultimate), Google Play Store automatically calculates how much of your original subscription was unused. To compensate you for the value of this unused subscription, you receive free access to the new paid product for a limited time period. This means that you are not immediately charged when you activate your new paid subscription. The length of your free access period depends on how much of your original subscription was unused. When the free access period ends, your new paid subscription automatically begins and you are charged for your chosen subscription plan (1 year or 1 month). The date of your first payment is displayed during the subscription upgrade.
How can I activate my Avast Mobile Security subscription on other devices?
Your paid Avast Mobile Security subscription is automatically activated on your primary Android device during your subscription purchase. To activate Avast Mobile Security on other devices, follow these steps:
How can I cancel my subscription for Avast Mobile Security on Android?
Uninstalling Avast Mobile Security Pro from your Android device does not cancel your subscription, and you will continue to be charged for the subscription until you cancel it. To cancel a subscription, ensure that you are signed into the Google account that you used to purchase the subscription, then follow these steps:
- Open Google Play Store on your device.
☰Menu ▸ Account.
- Tap Subscriptions, then tap Cancel below the subscription.
- Tap Cancel Subscription to confirm.
Google Play Store confirms the subscription is canceled. Your subscription is canceled and will stop at the end of the current billing cycle.
For more information, refer to the following article:
What are the benefits of the free trial version?
The free trial allows you to use all premium features of the paid Avast Mobile Security Pro version for free. The trial is activated automatically when you install Avast Mobile Security for the first time. To support the ongoing development of the app, the trial version includes advertisements which do not interfere with app usage. Once the trial expires, the app automatically changes to the free version. To continue using the premium features, upgrade to the paid version of Avast Mobile Security.
What is the VPN feature in Avast Mobile Security for Android?
The VPN feature in Avast Mobile Security for Android allows you to connect to the internet via secure Avast VPN servers, using an encrypted tunnel to protect your online activity from eavesdropping. VPN in Avast Mobile Security for Android offers:
- Protection: when many people are connected to the same public network, attackers can capture sensitive data, such as logins and passwords. The encrypted VPN connection provides efficient protection against these types of attacks.
- Anonymization: with broadband connections, many people have fixed IP addresses, which can be tracked when browsing sensitive sites. With a VPN connection, the browsing session is effectively anonymized, as the IP address the remote server sees is the address of the VPN server, not the user.
- Unrestricted access to the internet: when you are connected to a VPN server in another location, you gain access to the content you want, regardless of your location. This allows you to browse freely and without limits.
How can I add the VPN feature to Avast Mobile Security on Android?
The VPN feature in Avast Mobile Security is available for Android devices with an Avast Mobile Ultimate or Ultimate Multi subscription.
Can I use my subscription for Avast SecureLine VPN to activate the VPN feature in Avast Mobile Security for Android?
No. In this case you would continue to use Avast SecureLine VPN as a separate application. However, the activation code from an Avast Mobile Ultimate or Ultimate Multi subscription can be used to activate either the VPN feature in Avast Mobile Security or Avast SecureLine VPN (for use on up to 5 devices simultaneously).
How do I change the Notifications I see in Avast Mobile Security for Android?
To access your settings for Notifications & alerts, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Notifications & alerts. Notifications and alerts are divided into several sections:
- Realtime protection
- Permanent notification: ensures complete protection by preventing Android from stopping Avast Mobile Security from running in the background. It also ensures that App Locking works properly.
- Clipboard cleaner notification: notifies you if you have content copied to your clipboard and offers to clear it to prevent privacy leaks.
- Sensitive app notification: notifies you when a sensitive app is installed and prompts you to protect access to the sensitive app by using App Locking.
- App Shield notification: informs you if the app you are installing or updating is safe.
- Alert me about SPAM calls: informs you when you receive a call from a number that is making a high volume of calls and offers to block this number using Call Blocker.
- Scan complete popups: displays a popup to inform you immediately when a scan completes and the results are ready to show.
- Browser history cleaner: offers to clear your browser history to protect your privacy.
- Low battery ping: prompts you to turn on Last Known Location so that you can locate your phone after the battery dies, or even after your phone is turned off. Last Known Location is a setting within the Anti-Theft feature.
- Sensitive content detected: detects when sensitive web content is displayed and recommends that you use a VPN.
- Charging screen: prompts you to turn on the charging screen when you plug in a charging cable.
- Task killing notification: notifies you about apps running in the background and offers to stop them. This feature is disabled if the Avast Battery Saver app is installed on your device. It refers to the Boost RAM button on the Permanent notification bar.
- Lower battery warning: informs you when your battery power reaches 30%.
- Safe Clean: notifies you when more than 50 MB of unnecessary files are found on your device and recommends that you clean your device.
- Wi-Fi networking
- Unknown network dialog: offers to check security, test speed and secure connection when connecting to an unknown network.
- Security scan: suggests scanning your network for security threats.
- Speed test: offers to check your connection speed.
- Data Usage alerts
- Cycle usage reaches: informs you when data usage reaches a percentage level that you specify.
- Cycle limit is reached: notifies you when your data cycle limit has been reached.
- Daily limit is reached: notifies you when your daily data limit has been reached.
- Always show data usage in notifications: always displays data usage in notifications.
- Avast promotions: informs you about other Avast products that may improve the performance of your device and alerts you when special offers are available.
How can I disable or customize Permanent notification?
To prevent Android from killing the Avast Mobile Security app and inhibiting the app's ability to protect your device, we recommend enabling Permanent notification. If you disable the notification through
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Notifications & alerts ▸ Realtime protection ▸ Permanent notification, Avast Mobile Security may switch off automatically if too many energy-consuming apps are running on your device at once.
You can adjust the Permanent notification in the app settings. The following options are available:
- Dark theme: displays a dark background with four widgets corresponding to different notifications.
- Light theme: displays a light background with four widgets corresponding to different notifications.
- Standard design: displays the current protection-state of your device (similar to the earlier version of the app).
- Hidden (not recommended): turns the notification off completely which inhibits the app's ability to protect your device.
When an action is required, the relevant widget changes to red. Tap the widget for further instructions. For example, when the Scan Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi icon) widget is red, tap it to scan your Wi-Fi for potential security issues. To prevent a widget from changing to the alert-state, disable the corresponding notification in
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Notifications & alerts.
How does the Charging screen optimize battery charging?
Charging screen is a feature that displays charging progress and optimizes the performance of your device by stopping all background tasks. When this screen is active, you can check what time your device will finish charging, view the percentage of battery charge and also try to use Boost RAM, Clean Junk, Wi-Fi Speed, or Photo Vault directly from the screen.
To enable this feature, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Charging screen then tap the slider so that it changes to ON.
When you enable the Charging screen, you can specify the following settings:
- Tap Activate any time charging begins or Activate when charging with the screen off according to your preferences. By default, the Charging screen appears each time you begin charging your device.
- Tap Boost automatically when charging begins to allow Avast Mobile Security to stop any tasks that are running while your device is charging.
How do I enable or disable the Charging screen?
To enable the Charging screen feature, follow these steps:
- Go to
☰Menu ▸ Settings.
- Tap Charging screen
- Tap the slider so that it changes to ON.
To disable the Charging screen follow the above steps and tap the slider so that it changes to OFF.
While the Charging screen is active, you can swipe right at the bottom of the screen to exit, or tap Settings (the gear icon) to access Charging screen settings.
How can I customize shields in the Protection settings?
Protection components observe and scan the device to detect suspicious activity and protect against malware and viruses.
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Protection to access the following options:
- Scheduled scan: allows you to set a schedule for scanning. Select a day of the week and time for the app to scan your device automatically.
- Ignored issues: shows a list of ignored issues, if you did not fix them after a scan.
- App Install Shield: scans apps after installation.
- Web Shield Lite: protects against phishing and other malicious websites.
- Web Shield with Accessibility: scans each URL that loads and warns you when the browser loads a malware-infected URL. It requires accessibility permission to secure your device while browsing the web. Enable it in Android System Settings. This shield supports the native Android browser, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Dolphin, and UC Browser.
- Internal storage scanning: scans files that are stored in your internal storage. Please note that enabling this option may prolong the scanning process.
- Low reputation apps: scans apps and compares them to Avast user ratings, and warns you about apps with a low reputation.
- PUP detection: marks Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP) as malware and handles them accordingly.
- SMS Shield: alerts you when you receive a malicious URL via text message.
What is the PIN & pattern section?
The PIN & pattern section is linked to the App Locking feature. Go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ App Locking to set a PIN code or a pattern to protect access to your apps with App Locking. If your device is configured to unlock the screen by using a fingerprint, you can also use this option for App Locking.
How can I change App Locking timeout settings?
To specify when apps are being locked with the App Locking feature, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ App Locking and tap App Locking timeout. The following options are available:
- Immediately: locks an app immediately after you send it to the background.
- 10 seconds: locks an app 10 seconds after you send it to the background.
- 30 seconds: locks an app 30 seconds after you send it to the background.
- 1 minute: locks an app 1 minute after you send it to the background.
- When screen turns off: locks an app when your device screen turns off.
When this or another app managed by App Locking is launched within the selected timeout, the countdown stops and restarts. Regardless of the timeout settings, App Locking always locks your apps when your screen turns off.
When one app is unlocked, all other apps managed by App Locking are also automatically unlocked so you can access all your apps within the timeout period.
How do I find out which virus definitions version my app is using?
Access Updates by selecting
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Updates. The Updates menu displays the Virus definitions version and allows you to update virus definitions manually by tapping Check For Update. To prevent Avast Mobile Security from updating when you are using mobile data to connect to the internet, tap the slider next to Update over Wi-Fi only so that it changes to ON. We do not recommend keeping this setting enabled.
Where can I find the app's Activity Log?
The Activity Log is available in
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Activity log.
The Activity Log allows you to see all activity by Avast Mobile Security for Android. This mainly includes updates and scans. Clear the Activity Log by tapping the trash icon.
How can I control what data I share in Personal Privacy?
The Personal Privacy section helps us to understand your needs better and to improve our product based on the data that you agree to share with us.
If you do not want to participate in the collection of anonymous data, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Personal Privacy then tap the slider so it changes to OFF next to the following options:
- Community IQ: collects security-related information to help us improve our threat database.
- Help improve other Avast apps: sends usage data to Avast to help us improve our other apps.
- Share usage data with third parties for analytics: allows app and device usage data to be shared with third parties for analytics.
What is Clipboard Cleaner?
Clipboard Cleaner is a feature that clears your clipboard to prevent possible privacy leaks. If you are not interested in using Clipboard Cleaner, you can disable it by selecting
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Notifications & alerts ▸ Realtime protection ▸ Clipboard cleaner notification.
What if my paid subscription does not work in Avast Mobile Security for Android?
If Avast Mobile Security does not detect your valid subscription and the app displays the subscription not found message when you try to restore your subscription, refer to the following article:
Why does Avast show ads in Avast Mobile Security for Android?
Avast offers both a free version and the paid Avast Mobile Security Pro for Android. Avast Mobile Security Pro is ad-free and includes a range of additional premium features and benefits. To support the ongoing development of the app, the free version includes advertisements which do not interfere with app usage.
How can I disable third-party ads in Avast Mobile Security for Android?
Upgrade to the paid version of Avast Mobile Security to remove ads. To upgrade, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Remove ads and select a subscription plan. After upgrading, ads for third-party products and services no longer appear in the app. Information about other Avast products will still appear unless you disable these notifications. To disable notifications about other Avast products, select
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Notifications & alerts and tap the slider next to Avast promotions so it changes to OFF.
What should I do if the Accessibility permission is disabled repeatedly?
To improve performance, some Android devices force apps to stop when your device screen turns off. This often causes apps with the Accessibility permission to lose this permission. In this case, you need to manually re-enable the permission to maintain full functionality of the app.
To re-enable the Accessibility permission, open Settings from the main screen of your Android device, select Accessibility, then grant the permission to Avast Mobile Security.
On Huawei, Lenovo, Asus and Sony Xperia devices, you can change the system settings to prevent the app from losing the permission. Follow the relevant steps for your device:
How can I stop App Locking from repeatedly asking for a PIN?
How can I reset the PIN for App Locking?
If you forget your App Locking PIN, reset it by following these steps:
- Go to
☰Menu ▸ Settings ▸ PIN & pattern ▸ Change PIN.
⋮Menu (three dots) in the top-right corner and select Reset PIN.
- Type your Google Account credentials and create a new PIN.
What should I do if Avast Mobile Security for Android crashes or stops running?
Try one of the following options:
- Ensure that Permanent notification is enabled. If it is disabled, Android may kill the Avast Mobile Security process and stop the app.
- Fully uninstall and then reinstall Avast Mobile Security.
- Report the issue to Avast Support so that our support representatives can perform a deeper analysis of the issue.
- Join the Avast Beta Group to test the latest versions of Avast Android apps before public release. This means that you receive app updates and bug fixes earlier.
How does Avast Mobile Security protect my Android device?
When configured correctly, Avast Mobile Security protects your Android device from known malware and threats, and monitors data going in and out according to your preferences. We do our best to protect your device against all possible threats, but no solution is 100% effective.
Like all products on the Android market, it is subject to limitations imposed by the operating system version which is running on the device. It cannot protect against exploits targeting specific vulnerabilities in the OS kernel, the network stack and other fundamental parts of the system. However, we take our role in the security industry seriously, and continuously work with Android vendors to develop future solutions to minimize the risk of attacks.
What can I do when Avast Mobile Security for Android cannot remove malware?
In some cases, Avast Mobile Security for Android detects malware but cannot uninstall it. This is usually caused by the level of permissions granted to the suspicious app or by the app being installed as a system app (for example on rooted devices). For more details, refer to the following article:
How can I report a false positive detection to Avast Threat Labs?
In some cases, Avast Mobile Security for Android may detect and mark a clean file as malware. You can report false detections to Avast Threat Labs directly from the scan results screen:
⋮Menu (three dots) next to the detected file that you want to report.
- Select the Report as false positive option.
- Type a description of the issue and enter your e-mail address (if you want to be notified when the file analysis is finished).
- Tap Send.
How can I check if my virus definitions are updated?
Virus definitions are updated automatically. Go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Updates to check the virus definitions version and the date when it was installed. You can also tap Check For Update to make sure that you have the latest version installed or tap Update over Wi-Fi only to prevent updating when the device uses mobile data transfer.
How do I find out which version of Avast Mobile Security is installed on my Android device?
To see this information, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ About. The version number is displayed under Avast Mobile Security.
Why does Avast Mobile Security for Android need so many permissions?
Avast Mobile Security for Android requires many permissions that may seem unnecessary at first glance.
This is because permission classifications in Android are assigned a name based on the most common use case, but does not describe all the kinds of processes that require the permission.
For example the Directly call phone numbers permission is needed to implement the Call Blocker feature, not to make any phone calls. Another example is that full internet access permission is required to receive updates to malware definitions. Scan and Web Shield need permission to read phone data so the data can be scanned for threats.
We take your privacy very seriously. The permissions requested are the minimum set that are needed to implement the functionality of Avast Mobile Security for Android.
How much battery does Avast Mobile Security for Android use?
Avast Mobile Security for Android is designed to have minimal impact on battery life.
Testing across multiple devices shows that all services by this app generally take up less than 5% of battery consumption. (By comparison, the Launcher can take up about 15% and Gmail about 8%.) During a few operations, Avast Mobile Security can reach, at maximum, 20% of battery use at the peak of CPU use (about 30-60 seconds).
Why doesn't the Firewall feature work on my device?
If Firewall does not work on your Android device, you may be using an unrooted device. Unfortunately, the Firewall included in Avast Mobile Security for Android is only available on rooted devices running operating systems Android 4.0.3 or higher. The Firewall's functionality depends on access to several system features which require root privileges.
Do I have to "root" my Android device to use Avast Mobile Security?
Rooting is a process which allows Android users to attain privileged control of their devices (known as root access) within the Android system. Rooting allows the user to override limitations set by carriers and hardware manufacturers. This makes it possible to alter or replace system applications and settings, and run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions.
For most of the functionality within Avast Mobile Security rooting is NOT required. In fact, a rooted device is generally not as secure and therefore rooting is not recommended. Users who choose to root their devices are exposed to higher risks, and that is why we include features to provide additional protection.
The main advantage of a root installation is the Firewall feature in Avast Mobile Security for Android, which allows you to control network access on a per-app basis. This improves security, blocks unwanted advertisements, and even preserves battery life. Unfortunately, this feature is not available for non-rooted devices due to some limitations of the Android platform.
How is Avast Mobile Security for Android different from Avast Antivirus for desktop computers?
Scan and Shields included in Avast Mobile Security for Android use different definitions than the ones used in our antivirus software for PCs. The application is customized to run on mobile devices, and so the definitions are specific to malware which attacks mobile platforms. This saves your device from being overloaded by our PC antivirus engine, which includes an enormous amount of malware data which is not relevant to your mobile device.
How can I report an issue to Avast Support?
We offer many self-help articles on Avast Support pages. However, some issues may require deeper investigation by Avast Support.
Report any issues to our support department as described in the following article:
How can I provide feedback about the app?
Please report any issues to our support department, as described in the following article:
If you want to provide feedback or show appreciation and support for Avast mobile products, you can:
- Write a review on Google Play Store.
- Tell your friends about our software on Facebook or Twitter.
- Post reviews in Android related forums.
- Join the Avast Android beta program.
What other mobile apps does Avast offer?
Avast has created the following apps to improve the security and performance of your mobile device, and protect you from hackers and thieves:
- Avast Mobile Security 6.x
- Google Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean, API 16) or higher