You may notice the following issues while using your internet browser:
- Windows and dialogs open unexpectedly.
- You are redirected to webpages other than the pages you are trying to view.
- Your browser drains high levels of RAM or CPU, even when no update is running.
This behavior does not necessarily mean that your PC is infected. If you experience unusual browser behavior that is not flagged as malicious by Avast Antivirus, we recommend following steps in this article to reset your internet browser to default settings before contacting Avast Support.
Resetting your browser excludes the possibility that unusual behavior is caused by unstable browser add-ons, or problems with your browser settings.
- When you reset Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Avast Secure Browser to default settings, you do not erase any login details or bookmarks stored in the browser. Other customizations and preferences may be lost. Check the relevant browser's support pages for more details.
- When you reset Microsoft Edge or Opera to default settings, you erase login details and bookmarks stored in the browser. Other configurations and preferences may also be lost.
For detailed instructions, refer to the relevant article below from your browser's support pages:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
- Avast Secure Browser
- Go to the Reset my data and Opera section of the article below:
- Microsoft Edge
- Go to the Repair or reset Microsoft Edge section of the article below:
- Avast Ultimate 19.x
- Avast Premier 19.x
- Avast Internet Security 19.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 19.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 19.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit