Smart Scan is a comprehensive scan that detects malware, outdated software, bad browser add-ons, network threats, performance issues, and weak or compromised passwords at the same time.
Refer to the following sections for information about running a scan and resolving scan results.
Run a Smart Scan
- Open the Avast user interface and select Protection ▸ Scans.
- Click Run Smart Scan.
- Review your scan results.
Resolve found issues
- After your scan completes, you can review the scan results. A green checkmark beside any of the scanned areas indicates that no related issues were found. A red exclamation point indicates that one or more related issues were found:
- Conflicting antiviruses: antivirus programs that are installed on your PC in addition to Avast. Multiple antivirus programs slow down your PC and result in ineffective antivirus protection.
- Viruses: files containing malicious code which may impact the security and performance of your PC.
- Vulnerable software: outdated software that hackers can use to access your system.
- Bad browser add-ons: browser extensions that are usually installed without your knowledge and affect the performance of your system.
- Network issues: vulnerabilities in your network that may lead to attacks on your router and network devices.
- Performance issues: items such as junk files and unnecessary apps, or settings issues that may interfere with the operation of your PC.
- Weak passwords: passwords that are easy to decipher, used to access more than one of your online accounts, or compromised.
- Click Resolve all to view details of each found issue.
- To fix found software vulnerabilities, tick one or more outdated apps and click Update selected, or alternatively Skip this step to continue.
- To fix all found performance issues, click Resolve. More details can be found by clicking the relevant panel, or alternatively Skip to continue.
Some detections may require a paid license to resolve.
- Click Done to return to the main Avast interface screen.
- Avast Ultimate 18.x
- Avast Premier 18.x
- Avast Internet Security 18.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 18.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 18.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 2, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition - Service Pack 3, 32-bit