Smart Scan is an all-in-one scan that detects malware, out-of-date software, browser add-ons with poor reputations, network threats, performance issues, and passwords that are weak, duplicated, or compromised.
Refer to the follow sections for information on running a scan and resolving scan results.
Run a Smart Scan
To run a Smart Scan, follow these steps:
- Open the Avast user interface.
- Click Protection, then click Antivirus.
- Click the Run Smart Scan tile to initiate a scan.
- Review your scan results.
Resolve found issues
To resolve found issues, follow these steps:
- After your scan completes, review the scan results. A green tick beside any of the scanned areas indicates that no related issues were found. A red cross indicates that one or more related issues were found:
- Conflicting antiviruses: antivirus programs that are installed on your PC in addition to Avast. Multiple antivirus programs slow down your PC and result in ineffective antivirus protection.
- Viruses: files containing malicious code which may impact the security and performance of your PC.
- Vulnerable software: out-of-date software which hackers can use to access your system.
- Bad browser add-ons: browser extensions that are usually installed without your knowledge and affect the performance of your system.
- Network issues: vulnerabilities in your network that may lead to attacks on your router and network devices.
- Performance issues: items such as junk files and unnecessary apps, or settings issues that may interfere with the operation of your PC.
- Weak passwords: passwords that are easy to decipher, used to access more than one of your online accounts, or compromised.
- Click Resolve all to view details of each found issue.
- To resolve a specific issue, click Resolve or the relevant green button. Alternatively, you can select Skip to view the next found issue.
Some detections may require a paid license to resolve.
- Click Done to return to the main Avast screen.
- Avast Ultimate 17.x
- Avast Premier 17.x
- Avast Internet Security 17.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 17.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 17.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 2, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition - Service Pack 3, 32-bit