What is Avast Mobile Security?
Avast Mobile Security for Android is a security app that secures mobile devices against unwanted phishing, malware, and spyware, as well as malicious viruses such as trojans. In addition, the embedded Anti-Theft feature allows you to locate and track your lost or stolen device on a map with our web-based mobile tracking that uses GPS and other triangulation methods.
Avast Mobile Security for iOS is an app designed to protect your privacy online, securely store your photos, scan Wi-Fi networks for vulnerabilities, and alert you if any of your personal data linked to your email address has been leaked online.
How does Avast Mobile Security protect my device?
Avast Mobile Security protects your Android device from known malware and threats, and monitors data going in and out according to your preferences. We do our best to protect your device against all possible threats, but no solution is 100% effective.
Like all products on the Android market, it is subject to limitations imposed by the operating system version that is running on the device. It cannot protect against exploits targeting specific vulnerabilities in the OS kernel, the network stack and other fundamental parts of the system. However, we take our role in the security industry seriously, and continuously work with Android vendors to develop future solutions to minimize the risk of attacks.
How is Avast Mobile Security for Android different from Avast Mobile Security for desktop computers?
The Scan feature and the Shields included in Avast Mobile Security for Android use different definitions than the ones used in our antivirus software for PCs. The app is customized to run on mobile devices, and so the definitions are specific to malware that attacks mobile platforms. This saves your device from being overloaded by our PC antivirus engine, which includes an enormous amount of malware data that is not relevant to your mobile device.
How much battery does Avast Mobile Security use?
Avast Mobile Security for Android is designed to have minimal impact on battery life. Testing across multiple devices shows that all services by this app generally take up less than 5% of battery consumption (by comparison, the Launcher can take up about 15% and Gmail about 8%). Avast Mobile Security can reach maximally 20% battery usage at the peak of CPU use (about 30-60 seconds).
Download and Installation
What are the system requirements for Avast Mobile Security?
- Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop, API 21) or higher.
- Internet connection to download, activate, and maintain app updates.
Avast Mobile Security supports both Android phones and tablets. The app is compatible with all ARM Android devices. However, each vendor or manufacturer makes slight changes in their devices, so some features may behave unexpectedly or, in rare cases, not work. Please note that Avast cannot cover all vendor customizations to the OS. However, we gladly accept feedback if you experience any compatibility issues on your Android device.
If you are using a custom ROM, the app may not work as expected. Report any feedback regarding this issue to Avast Support.
- Devices running Google Android 4.4 (KitKat, API 19) or lower. However, if you are using an older version of Avast Mobile Security on those systems, you can still receive updates to the virus database.
- Symbian, iOS, Microsoft Windows Phone/Mobile, Bada, WebOS, or any mobile operating system other than Android. This app does not work on iPhone or iPad devices.
You can install and run the latest version of Avast Mobile Security on any iOS device capable of running iOS 12.0 or higher.
How do I download and install Avast Mobile Security?
- On your Android device, tap the button below to open the Avast Mobile Security for Android product page in Google Play Store. Go to Google Play Store
- Tap Install to download and install the app. When installation is complete, tap Open to open Avast Mobile Security.
- Tap Scan Now to check your device for security issues. If prompted, grant Avast Mobile Security permission to access your files, photos, and other media.
- When the scan completes, follow the on-screen instructions to resolve any detected issues.
- If no issues are detected, the Scan complete screen appears. Optionally tap the gray (OFF) slider next to Automatic scanning so that it changes to green (ON) to enable scheduled scans.
- Select one of the options below:
- Use free version: Tap Continue with free ▸ Continue As Free.
- Purchase: Tap Get complete protection and select your preferred plan, then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the purchase.
- Activate: If you purchased an Avast Mobile Security subscription before installation, tap Get complete protection ▸ ⋮ (three dots) ▸ Already purchased?. Then, select the relevant option to activate your paid subscription. For detailed activation instructions, refer to the following article:
- On your iOS device, tap the button below to open the Avast Mobile Security for iOS product page in the App Store. Go to the App Store
- Tap Get to download and install the app. Alternatively, when reinstalling the app, tap the cloud icon.
- When installation is complete, tap Open, or tap the Avast Mobile Security icon on the Home screen of your device to open the app.
- If asked for permissions, select Accept.
- Tap Not now to start using the free version of the app.
Avast Mobile Security is now installed on your device. For detailed installation instructions, refer to the following article:
Subscription and Activation
What are the benefits of an Avast Mobile Security Premium subscription?
Avast Mobile Security Premium is the paid version of the app. With a paid Premium subscription, you can take advantage of the following premium features:
- Remove ads: Eliminate third-party ads from your Avast Mobile Security experience.
- App Locking: Protect access to your apps with a PIN.
- Anti-Theft: Use additional options that help you protect and locate your lost or stolen device.
- Camera trap: Capture a photo of the thief when an incorrect PIN is entered.
- Audio recording: Secretly record the phone's surroundings at any time.
- Last known location: Sends a location notification to your Avast Account when the device battery is dying.
- PIN security: Locks your device and sounds an alarm after 8 failed unlock attempts.
- Photo Vault: Secure storage of an unlimited number of photos.
- Avast Direct Support: Receive prioritized responses to your support inquiries.
- Wi-Fi Protection: Protect your privacy by using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to ensure no one can spy on your online activity.
- Unlimited Identity Protection: Monitor multiple email accounts and immediately receive a notification if any of your personal data is found leaked online.
- Unlimited Photo Vault: Lock an unlimited number of photos in an encrypted vault so that only you have access to them.
What features are included in the other paid versions of Avast Mobile Security for Android?
In addition to Avast Mobile Security Premium for Android, we also offer the following paid products:
- Avast Mobile Pro Plus: Includes Avast Mobile Security Premium for Android, and Avast Cleanup Premium for Android (each for use on up to 5 Android devices simultaneously).
- Avast Mobile Ultimate: Comes with all products included in Avast Mobile Pro Plus, and additionally includes either the VPN feature within Avast Mobile Security for Android, or Avast SecureLine VPN for Android (each for use on up to 5 Android devices simultaneously).
How can I purchase a paid version of Avast Mobile Security?
- Tap Upgrade in the top-right corner of the main app screen.
- Select your preferred product, then tap Upgrade Now.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the transaction.
When the transaction completes, your subscription activates automatically on the device used for purchase. Your purchased subscription is valid on all devices that are connected to your Google Account and have Avast Mobile Security installed.
How do I upgrade to Avast Mobile Security Premium?
- Tap the Avast Mobile Security icon on the Home screen of your device to open the app.
- Tap Upgrade in the top-right corner.
- Select your preferred subscription plan.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the purchase.
Avast Mobile Security Premium activates automatically on your iOS device.
Is my subscription for Avast Mobile Security Premium also valid for other paid Avast apps?
No. If you purchase Avast Mobile Security Premium, your subscription is valid only for this app. Avast Mobile Pro Plus and Avast Mobile Ultimate also include a subscription for other paid Avast Android apps.
No. If you purchase Avast Mobile Security Premium for iOS, your subscription is only valid for this app on an iOS device.
What happens if I upgrade from my current subscription to a different subscription?
When you upgrade from one paid version of Avast Mobile Security to another (for example, from Avast Mobile Security Premium to Avast Mobile Ultimate), Google Play Store automatically calculates how much of your original subscription was unused. To compensate you for the value of this unused subscription, you receive free access to the new paid product for a limited time period. This means that you are not immediately charged when you activate your new paid subscription. The length of your free access period depends on how much of your original subscription was unused. When the free access period ends, your new paid subscription automatically begins and you are charged for your chosen subscription plan (1 year or 1 month). The date of your first payment is displayed during the subscription upgrade.
How can I start using my Avast Mobile Security subscription on another Android device?
When you purchase a paid version of Avast Mobile Security via Google Play Store, your subscription activates automatically on the Android device you use to make the purchase. To start using your subscription on a new Android device:
- Sign in to Google Play Store on the new device, using the same Google Account you used to purchase Avast Mobile Security.
- Download and install the latest version of Avast Mobile Security from Google Play Store.
- After installation, open Avast Mobile Security and tap Get Started ▸ Upgrade Now.
- Tap the ⋮ icon (three dots) in the top-right corner and select Already purchased? ▸ Restore from Google Play.
Avast Mobile Security automatically retrieves and activates your subscription from Google Play Store.
How can I cancel a paid Avast Mobile Security subscription?
Uninstalling Avast Mobile Security from your Android device does not cancel your paid subscription, and you will continue to be charged for the subscription until you cancel it. To cancel a subscription, ensure that you are signed into Google Play Store with the Google Account that you used to purchase the subscription, then follow these steps:
- On the Home screen of your device, tap the Google Play Store icon to open the store.
- Select ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Subscriptions.
- Tap the subscription you want to cancel and select Cancel Subscription.
Google Play Store confirms the subscription is canceled. Your subscription is canceled and will stop at the end of the current billing cycle.
Uninstalling Avast Mobile Security from your iOS device does not cancel your paid subscription, and you will continue to be charged for the subscription until you cancel it. To cancel a subscription purchased via the App Store, refer to the following instructions on the Apple Support site:
- See or cancel your subscriptions ▸ How to see or cancel subscriptions on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
What can I do if Avast Mobile Security does not detect my paid subscription?
In rare cases, Avast Mobile Security does not detect your valid subscription and displays the No subscriptions found message when you try to restore your subscription. For instructions to resolve this issue, refer to the following article:
Is there a free-trial option for Avast Mobile Security Premium?
Yes. The free trial allows you to use all premium features for either 7 or 14 days free of charge. The 7-day free trial activates automatically when you select a monthly Avast Mobile Security Premium subscription, and the 14-day free trial activates automatically when you select a yearly Avast Mobile Security Premium subscription. Once the free trial period ends, your Avast Mobile Security Premium subscription starts automatically.
How can I reactivate my subscription?
If you previously purchased an Avast Mobile Security Premium subscription via the App Store and want to reactivate your subscription, for example on a new or reset device, follow these steps:
- Ensure you are logged in to the App Store with the Apple ID that was used to purchase Avast Mobile Security Premium.
- Install Avast Mobile Security.
- Open Avast Mobile Security and tap Not now during the tutorial.
- Tap Upgrade in the top-right corner.
- Tap Already Purchased?, then select Restore from iTunes.
Avast Mobile Security connects to the App Store and automatically activates the subscription on your iOS device.
For more information about activating Avast Mobile Security for iOS, refer to the following article:
What is Scan?
The Scan button on the main app screen scans all apps installed on your device and informs you about security risks caused by changes in default Android settings.
Avast Mobile Security automatically scans newly installed apps the first time they are run. If malware is detected, Avast Mobile Security offers to uninstall the app or to delete the file. If an app or file is incorrectly identified as malware, you can report the false-positive detection directly to Avast Threat Labs.
To schedule automatic scans, go to ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ Protection ▸ Scheduled scan. Ensure the slider at the top of the screen is green (On), tap Scan time to set a specific time for the scan to run, and specify Scan Days by ticking the box(es) next to the days when you want the scan to automatically run.
What is Boost RAM?
Tap the Boost RAM tile on the main app screen to kill any apps running in the background of your device. This action prevents apps from slowing down your device and draining your battery. When this process completes, the amount of freed space and the number of killed apps is displayed.
What is Clean junk?
When you tap the Clean junk tile on the main app screen, Avast Mobile Security analyzes your device and displays the amount of storage space that is being used by junk files. You can view the specific types of junk files on your device by tapping the Safe clean tile. Untick any items that you don't want to clean, then release space on your device by tapping Clean.
The Clean junk feature cleans three types of files:
- Temporary app files: Temporary data that can be deleted with no impact on app functionality.
- Advertisement cache: Data from folders where ad systems save their resources.
- Used installation files: APK files used by sources other than Google Play.
To free more space, install the Avast Cleanup app directly from the Safe clean results screen.
What is Scan Wi-Fi / Wi-Fi Security?
The Scan Wi-Fi tile on the main app screen scans your network for problems with your router, encryption, Wi-Fi, and connection. When this action is complete, the app advises whether the network you are connected to is safe. Any detected issues are described, along with instructions to resolve the issues. After scanning, the Scan Wi-Fi tile changes to Check Speed. You can also access the Scan Wi-Fi feature via ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Wi-Fi Security, or by tapping the Scan button on the main app screen.
What is Check Speed / Wi-Fi Speed?
Once the Wi-Fi network that you are currently connected to has been scanned for problems using Scan Wi-Fi, the Scan Wi-Fi tile becomes Check Speed. When you tap Check Speed, the app measures and rates your network's current download and upload speeds. This feature is also accessible via ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Wi-Fi Speed.
What is App Insights?
App Insights provides you with usage information about the apps on your device, data consumption details, and allows you to view which permissions are required by each of your installed apps. To access App Insights, go to ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ App Insights.
Select one of the tabs at the top of the screen:
- Usage: Shows an overview of the amount of time you spend using each of your apps.
- Data: Allows Avast Mobile Security to help manage your data consumption and avoid additional charges.
- Permissions: Shows you which apps on your device require the most permissions. High Permission Apps appear at the top of the list. Tap any app to review the specific permissions required by the app. For non-system apps, you can tap Uninstall to permanently remove the app from your device. It is not possible to uninstall system apps, but you can tap Disable to prevent a system app from running in the background and occupying your device memory.
How can Avast Mobile Security help manage my data consumption?
You can configure Avast Mobile Security to monitor your data consumption and help you avoid additional charges by notifying you when you approach the limit. To set up data usage alerts:
- Go to ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ App Insights.
- Select the Data tab.
- Tap Set Up Now
- Provide the following information:
- Data package size: set your data package size.
- Day of month to reset: select the day when your data is reset every month.
- Based on the information you provide, Avast Mobile Security calculates your Recommended daily limit. Tap Activate.
- On the App Insights screen, ensure the Data tab is selected and tap Data Usage alerts.
- Specify when Avast Mobile Security notifies you about data consumption.
Avast Mobile Security now notifies you about data consumption according to your preferences.
What is Clipboard Cleaner?
Clipboard Cleaner clears your clipboard to prevent possible privacy leaks. If you are not interested in using Clipboard Cleaner, you can disable this feature via ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ Notifications & alerts ▸ Realtime protection. Tap the slider next to Clipboard cleaner notification so that it changes to gray (OFF).
What is App Locking?
App Locking is a premium feature available in Avast Mobile Security Premium that protects your sensitive apps with a PIN or pattern. If you are able to unlock your device with a fingerprint, you can also use this option for App Locking. To enable this feature:
- Go to ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ App Locking.
- If you are using App Locking for the first time, tap Set Up Now.
- If prompted, follow the on-screen instructions to Set a new PIN code and Grant necessary permissions. You can optionally define a swipe pattern or set up fingerprint unlocking.
- Tap Activate App Locking.
- To protect an app, tap the relevant slider so that it changes to green (ON). Locked apps appear under Protected apps. Unlocked apps appear under either Recommended to lock or Unprotected apps.
Once App Locking is enabled, you can modify your App Locking settings by tapping the ⋮ icon (three dots) in the top-right corner of the main App Locking screen and selecting Settings. The following options are available:
- Select PIN & pattern to create or change your PIN, set a pattern, or set up fingerprint unlocking.
- Select App Locking timeout to specify when apps are locked.
App Locking is now configured and ready to use. To disable this feature, tap the slider at the top of the main App Locking screen so that it changes to (Off).
What is Anti-Theft?
Anti-Theft protects your private mobile data and helps you retrieve a lost or stolen device by allowing you to control the device remotely via your Avast Account.
Before you can control your device remotely, Anti-Theft must be enabled on your device. It is not possible to enable Anti-Theft without access to your device. For detailed instructions to enable Anti-Theft, refer to the following article:
Once Anti-Theft is enabled, you can modify your Anti-Theft settings via ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Anti-Theft. For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
When you upgrade to a paid version of Avast Mobile Security, you can use the following additional features:
- Camera trap: captures a photo of the thief when an incorrect PIN is entered.
- Audio recording: secretly records the phone's surroundings at any time.
- Last known location: sends a location notification to your Avast Account when the device battery is dying.
- PIN security: locks your device and sounds an alarm after 8 failed unlock attempts.
What is Photo Vault?
Photo Vault allows you to protect access to your photos with a PIN code. Photos that are moved to Photo Vault are encrypted and hidden. You can access Photo Vault via ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Photo Vault. To add a photo to Photo Vault, tap the plus icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen and select one of the following options:
- Recover old Vault: This option appears if you uninstalled Avast Mobile Security with photos stored in your Photo Vault, then reinstalled the app. When you select this option, photos from the previous Vault are added automatically to your new Vault.
- Take new photo: Take photos and directly add them to Photo Vault.
- Take a photo with your camera.
- Tap OK to place the photo in the Vault, or tap Retry to take the photo again.
- Import from gallery: Select photos from your existing gallery and add them to Photo Vault.
- Tick the photo(s) that you want to protect.
- Tap Hide Now.
To remove photos from Photo Vault, tick the photo(s) you want to remove and tap the relevant icon at the top of the screen:
- Export icon: Exports a photo back to the original location and makes it visible to others.
- Trash icon: Removes a photo from the Vault and from the original location. This action cannot be undone.
If you forget your PIN:
- When you are asked to enter your PIN, tap the ⋮ icon (three dots) in the top-right corner and select Reset PIN.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your PIN using your Google Account credentials.
In the free version of Avast Mobile Security, you can protect up to 10 photos. To secure an unlimited number of photos, upgrade to a paid version of Avast Mobile Security.
Why has the Firewall feature been removed from Avast Mobile Security for Android?
The Firewall feature in Avast Mobile Security for Android depended on access to several system features that required root privileges. Due to low usage of the Firewall feature, and the risks associated with using a rooted device, we have removed Firewall from Avast Mobile Security for Android version 6.27 and higher. All rules previously set in Firewall are automatically removed when you update to Avast Mobile Security for Android version 6.27 or higher.
Avast does not recommend rooting. A rooted device is generally not as secure and users who choose to root their device are exposed to higher risks.
Rooting is a process that allows Android users to attain privileged control of their device (known as root access) within the Android system. Rooting allows the user to override limitations set by carriers and hardware manufacturers. This makes it possible to alter or replace system applications and settings, and run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions.
What is Call Blocker?
Call Blocker enables you to block calls from blacklisted numbers. You can choose to blacklist calls from:
- All unknown numbers.
- All hidden numbers.
- A chosen contact from your contacts list.
- A chosen number that you have entered manually into the app.
To access Call Blocker, go to ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Call Blocker. When a call is blocked, the caller is automatically redirected to voice mail.
View a list of calls that have been blocked by tapping History in the Call Blocker menu.
What is Power Save?
Power Save allows you to adjust a range of settings that may reduce your device's battery consumption. Access Power Save by tapping ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Power Save. Select Activate Power Save to enable Power Save. Tap Power Save Settings to configure how your device behaves when Power Save is enabled, or alternatively use the default configuration.
What is Wi-Fi Protection?
Wi-Fi Protection (previously called Secure Browsing) uses our VPN (Virtual Private Network) infrastructure to create a secured VPN connection. This protects the data you upload and download from the internet, secures data sent from your device, and keeps your internet activity completely private. Wi-Fi Protection is available as part of an Avast Mobile Security Premium subscription.
How do I activate Wi-Fi Protection?
Wi-Fi Protection is available with an Avast Mobile Security Premium subscription. The first time you activate Wi-Fi Protection, the app prompts you to add VPN Configurations. To activate Wi-Fi Protection, follow the steps below:
- Tap Turn On VPN on the Wi-Fi Protection tile.
- Review the Logging Policy and Use terms, then tap Accept.
- If prompted, tap Allow to add VPN Configurations.
Wi-Fi Protection is now activated, connecting you to the closest server we have in your location. To temporarily turn off the VPN, tap Pause VPN on the main Avast Mobile Security screen.
What is the difference between Wi-Fi Protection and the Avast SecureLine VPN app?
Wi-Fi Protection and the Avast SecureLine VPN app both give you a secure VPN connection to protect your online activities. Wi-Fi Protection connects you to the closest server we have in your location, whereas the Avast SecureLine VPN app allows you to choose which server you connect to.
What is Identity Protection?
Identity Protection keeps all of your online accounts safe by ensuring none of the passwords linked to your email address have been leaked online. If a leak is found, Identity Protection immediately notifies you and prompts you to change the password that was compromised.
How do I activate Identity Protection?
- Tap Add Email on the Identity Protection tile.
- Tap Add Email Address.
- Enter your email address, then tap Add Email.
Identity Protection immediately checks for any leaked data online connected to your email address. An alert notifies you if any data leaks are found. Identity Protection remains active and notifies you again if it detects any future data leaks connected to your email address.
How do I add more email addresses to Identity Protection?
Having more than one email address secured by Identity Protection is only possible with an Avast Mobile Security Premium subscription. Upgrade to Avast Mobile Security Premium then follow the instructions below:
- Tap the Identity Protection panel on the main Avast Mobile Security screen.
- Tap Add Email Address.
- Enter the email address you want to add, then tap Add Email.
What is Photo Vault?
Photo Vault protects your photos and images from prying eyes by moving them to a passcode-protected, encrypted vault. Up to 40 photos or images from your device or camera can be added to the vault. With an Avast Mobile Security Premium subscription you can store an unlimited number of photos or images in Photo Vault.
How do I activate Photo Vault?
To activate Photo Vault, first you need to set up a passcode:
- Tap Open on the Photo Vault tile.
- Tap Set Passcode.
- Enter a four-digit passcode, then enter your passcode again to confirm it.
Photo Vault is now active and you can add photos and images to the vault to protect them from being accessed by other people using your iOS device.
How do I add photos or images to Photo Vault?
You can add existing photos or images to your Photo Vault from the Photo Library on your device, or you can use the camera on your device to take a photo and import it directly into your Photo Vault.
To add photos or images to Photo Vault:
- Tap Open on the Photo Vault tile.
- Enter your passcode, then tap the
- Select either Photo Library or Camera:
- If prompted, tap OK to give Avast Mobile Security permission to access your Photo Library.
- Tap a photo to select it, then tap Select.
- Optionally, tap Delete to remove the photo from your photo library.
- If prompted, tap OK to give Avast Mobile Security permission to access your camera.
- Take a photo then tap Use Photo or Retake.
Your photo is imported into Photo Vault.
Can I export my photos from Photo Vault?
Yes. We recommend exporting your photos from Photo Vault before uninstalling the app.
To export your photos from Photo Vault:
- Tap Open on the Photo Vault tile.
- Enter your passcode.
- Tap Select.
- Tap the photo(s) you want to export. A green border appears around the selected photo(s).
- Tap Share in the bottom-left corner.
- Select your preferred method for exporting or saving the files and follow the on-screen instructions.
How can I change my passcode for Photo Vault?
To change your Photo Vault passcode:
- Open the app and go to Settings.
- Under Photo Vault, tap Change Passcode.
- Enter your current passcode.
- Enter a new 4-digit passcode.
- Enter your new passcode again to confirm it.
Your passcode for Photo Vault has been changed.
What is VPN Protection?
The VPN Protection feature allows you to connect to the internet via secure Avast VPN servers, using an encrypted tunnel to protect your online activity from eavesdropping. VPN in Avast Mobile Security for Android offers:
- Protection: when many people are connected to the same public network, attackers can capture sensitive data, such as logins and passwords. The encrypted VPN connection provides effective protection against these types of attacks.
- Anonymization: with broadband connections, many people have fixed IP addresses, which can be tracked when browsing sensitive sites. With a VPN connection, the browsing session is effectively anonymized, as the IP address the remote server sees is the address of the VPN server, not the user.
- Access content around the world: when you are connected to a VPN server in another location, you gain access to content that may be restricted in your location. This allows you to browse freely, even from countries with web censorship.
What is the difference between the VPN feature in Avast Mobile Security for Android and the Avast SecureLine VPN app?
Both the VPN Protection feature in Avast Mobile Security for Android and the Avast SecureLine VPN app allow you to connect to the internet via secure Avast VPN servers, protecting your personal data, and effectively anonymizing your online activity. When you connect to our VPN servers using the VPN Protection feature in Avast Mobile Security for Android, you can choose from the same list of server locations that is available in Avast SecureLine VPN.
The Avast SecureLine VPN app contains certain advanced settings options that are not available in Avast Mobile Security for Android, including Auto Connect and Split Tunneling. For more information, refer to the following article:
How can I add the VPN feature to Avast Mobile Security for Android?
The VPN feature in Avast Mobile Security is available for Android devices with an Avast Mobile Ultimate subscription.
Can I use my subscription for Avast SecureLine VPN to activate the VPN feature in Avast Mobile Security for Android?
No. In this case you would continue to use Avast SecureLine VPN as a separate app. However, the activation code from an Avast Mobile Ultimate subscription can be used to activate either the VPN feature in Avast Mobile Security or Avast SecureLine VPN (for use on up to 5 Android devices simultaneously).
How do I change the notifications I see in Avast Mobile Security?
Go to ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ Notifications & alerts. Notifications and alerts are divided into the following sections:
- Realtime protection
- Permanent notification: Ensures complete protection by preventing Android stopping Avast Mobile Security from running in the background. It also ensures that App Locking works properly.
- Clipboard cleaner notification: Notifies you if you have content copied to your clipboard and offers to clear it to prevent privacy leaks.
- Sensitive app notification: Notifies you when a sensitive app is installed and prompts you to protect access to the sensitive app by using App Locking.
- App Install Shield notification: Informs you if the app you are installing or updating is safe.
- Scan complete popups: Displays a popup to inform you immediately when a scan completes and the results are ready to show.
- Low battery ping: Prompts you to turn on Last Known Location so that you can locate your phone after the battery dies, or even after your phone is turned off. Last Known Location is a setting within the Anti-Theft feature.
- Sensitive content detected: Detects when sensitive web content is displayed and recommends that you use a VPN.
- Task killing notification: Notifies you about apps running in the background and offers to stop them. This is connected to the Boost RAM tile on the main app screen.
- Safe Clean: Notifies you when more than 50 MB of unnecessary files are found on your device and recommends that you clean your device.
- Wi-Fi networking
- Unknown network dialog: Offers to check security, test speed, and secure connection when connecting to an unknown network.
- Speed test: Offers to check your connection speed.
- Auto-scan unknown networks: Automatically scans new Wi-Fi networks for security threats.
- Data Usage alerts
- Cycle usage reaches: Informs you when data usage reaches a percentage level that you specify.
- Cycle limit is reached: Notifies you when your data cycle limit has been reached.
- Daily limit is reached: Notifies you when your daily data limit has been reached.
- Always show data usage in notifications: Always displays data usage in notifications.
How can I disable or customize the permanent notification?
The permanent notification ensures your device's complete protection by preventing Android from stopping Avast Mobile Security processes. On devices running Android 8.0 or higher, disabling the permanent notification is not an option. However, the notification can be minimized or configured for minimal interruption via your device settings. For more information, refer to the following article:
How can I manage Web Protection notifications?
Web Protection notifications are automatically enabled to alert you when Wi-Fi threats are detected or malicious websites are blocked. To disable these notifications:
- Open the app and go to Settings.
- Under Notify Me About, tap the green (ON) slider next to the relevant option so that the slider changes to white (OFF).
How can I customize my protection settings?
Protection components in Avast Mobile Security monitor and scan your device to detect suspicious activity and protect you against malware and viruses.
Go to ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ Protection to access the following options:
- Scheduled scan: Allows you to set a schedule for scanning. Select a day of the week and time for the app to scan your device automatically.
- Ignored issues: Shows a list of ignored issues, if you did not fix them after a scan.
- App Install Shield: Scans apps after installation.
- File Shield: Scans your device for malicious files.
- Web Shield: Scans each URL that loads and warns you when the browser loads a malware-infected URL, while also protecting you against phishing and other malicious websites. To enable this setting, you must first grant Avast Mobile Security the Accessibility permission in your device settings.
- Internal storage scanning: Scans files that are stored in your internal storage. Enabling this option may prolong the scanning process.
- Low reputation apps: Scans apps then compares them to Avast user ratings, and warns you about apps with a low reputation.
- PUP detection: Marks Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) as malware and handles them accordingly.
How can I change App Locking timeout settings?
To specify when apps will be locked by the App Locking feature, go to ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ App Locking and tap App Locking timeout. The following options are available:
- Immediately: Locks an app immediately after you send it to the background.
- 10 seconds: Locks an app 10 seconds after you send it to the background.
- 30 seconds: Locks an app 30 seconds after you send it to the background.
- 1 minute: Locks an app 1 minute after you send it to the background.
- When screen turns off: Locks an app when your device screen turns off.
When this or another app managed by App Locking is launched within the selected timeout, the countdown stops and restarts. Regardless of the timeout settings, App Locking always locks your apps when your screen turns off.
When one app is unlocked, all other apps managed by App Locking are also automatically unlocked so you can access all your apps within the timeout period.
How do I verify which version of Avast Mobile Security is installed on my device?
- Open Avast Mobile Security and tap ☰ Menu (three lines).
- Tap Settings ▸ About.
- Verify your current app version under AntiVirus.
To check the version number of your Avast Mobile Security app, open the app and go to Settings. The app version number is listed at the bottom of the screen under Current version.
Where can I find the Avast Mobile Security Activity Log?
The Activity Log is available via ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ Activity log.
The Activity Log allows you to see all activity performed by Avast Mobile Security for Android. This mainly includes updates and scans. You can clear the Activity Log by tapping the trash icon in the to-right corner.
How can I control which data I share with Avast and third parties?
When you use Avast Mobile Security, you share anonymous usage statistics and error reports with Avast and third parties to help improve the app. To manage your data sharing preferences, go to ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ Personal Privacy. Tap the slider next to one of the following options so that it changes to green (ON) to opt in, or gray (OFF) to opt out:
- Share threat data with Avast to improve the security of all Avast Mobile Security users (Community IQ).
- Share app-usage data with Avast to help us with new product development.
- Share app usage data with 3rd-party analytics tools to improve this app.
- Share app-usage data with Avast so we may offer you upgrades or other products. (in the free version of Avast Mobile Security, this option is enabled by default and does not appear)
Sharing app-usage data with Avast and 3rd-party analytics tools is automatically enabled to help improve the app. You can disable these settings within Avast Mobile Security by going to Settings ▸ Data Settings and tapping the green (ON) slider next to each option so that they change to white (OFF).
How can I check if my virus definitions are updated?
Virus definitions are updated automatically. Go to ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ Updates to check the current virus definitions version and the date when it was installed. You can also tap Check For Update to make sure that you have the latest version installed. To prevent Avast Mobile Security from updating when you are using mobile data to connect to the internet, tap the slider next to Update over Wi-Fi only so that it changes to green (ON). We do not recommend keeping this setting enabled.
How can I uninstall Avast Mobile Security?
If you no longer want to use Avast Mobile Security, you need to cancel your subscription before uninstalling the app from your device.
For detailed uninstallation instructions, refer to the following article:
How can I disable third-party ads in Avast Mobile Security for Android?
To support the ongoing development of Avast Mobile Security, the free version of the app includes third-party ads that do not interfere with app usage. Paid versions of Avast Mobile Security are ad-free and include a range of additional premium features and benefits. Purchase a paid version of Avast Mobile Security by tapping Upgrade in the top-right corner of the main app screen.
Alternatively, you can purchase an Ad Free subscription. This option removes third-party ads from Avast Mobile Security, but does not include any additional premium features and benefits. An Ad Free subscription is only available after you have used the Free version of Avast Mobile Security for approximately 40-50 days. When this subscription option is available, the 'Remove ads' panel appears on the main app screen. To purchase an Ad Free subscription, tap the gray (OFF) slider next to Remove ads and follow the on-screen instructions.
What should I do if the Accessibility permission is disabled repeatedly?
To improve performance, some Android devices force apps to stop when your device screen turns off. This often causes apps with the Accessibility permission to lose this permission.
To re-enable the Accessibility permission, open your device settings, search for
Accessibility, then grant this permission to Avast Mobile Security.
We recommend changing your system settings to prevent Avast Mobile Security from losing the permission. For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
How can I reset the PIN for App Locking?
If you forget your App Locking PIN, reset it by following these steps:
- Go to ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Settings ▸ PIN & pattern ▸ Change PIN.
- Tap the ⋮ icon (three dots) in the top-right corner and select Reset PIN.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reset the PIN using your Google Account credentials.
What should I do if Avast Mobile Security for Android crashes or stops running?
Try one of the following options:
- Fully uninstall and then reinstall Avast Mobile Security.
- Report the issue to Avast Support so that our support representatives can perform a deeper analysis of the issue.
- Join the Avast Beta program to test the latest versions of Avast Android apps before public release. This means that you receive app updates and bug fixes earlier.
- If you are running Android 7.9 or lower, ensure that Permanent notification is enabled. If it is disabled, Android may kill the Avast Mobile Security process and stop the app. On Android 8 and higher it is not possible to disable the Permanent notification.
What can I do when Avast Mobile Security for Android cannot remove malware?
In rare cases, Avast Mobile Security detects malware but cannot uninstall it. This is usually caused by the level of permissions granted to the suspicious app, or by the app being installed as a system app. For more information, refer to the following article:
How can I report a false positive detection to Avast Threat Labs?
In rare cases, Avast Mobile Security may detect and mark a clean file as malware. You can report false detections to Avast Threat Labs directly from the scan results screen:
- Tap the ⋮ icon (three dots) next to the detected file that you want to report.
- Select the Report as false positive option.
- Type a description of the issue and enter your email address (if you want to be notified when the file analysis is finished).
- Tap Send.
How can I disable sound alerts for background notifications from Avast Mobile Security?
On some Honor or Huawei devices, a sound plays each time you receive a notification from Avast Mobile Security. To prevent this, follow the steps below on your Honor or Huawei device:
- Open your device Settings and go to Apps & notifications.
- Select Notifications management.
- Tap Avast Mobile Security for Android, then select Background services.
- Tap the blue (ON) slider next to Ringtone, so it changes to gray (OFF).
A sound no longer plays each time you receive a notification from Avast Mobile Security.
Why does Avast Mobile Security need so many permissions?
Avast Mobile Security for Android requires many permissions that may initially seem unnecessary. This is because permission classifications in Android are assigned a name based on the most common use case, but does not describe all the kinds of processes that require the permission. For example, the full internet access permission is required to receive updates to malware definitions, and Scan and Web Shield need permission to read phone data so the data can be scanned for threats.
We take your privacy very seriously. The permissions requested are the minimum set that are needed to implement the functionality of Avast Mobile Security for Android. For more information, refer to the following article:
How can I report an issue to Avast Support?
We offer many self-help articles on the Avast Support pages. However, some issues may require deeper investigation by Avast Support.
Report any issues to our support team using the instructions in the following article:
You can contact our technical or sales support, send us a message, or connect to a dedicated forum all via the Avast Mobile Security app. Go to Settings ▸ Contact Support, then select your preferred option.
How can I provide feedback about the app?
You can provide feedback about Avast Mobile Security for iOS in several ways:
- Avast Mobile Security 6.x for Android
- Avast Mobile Security Premium 6.x for Android
- Avast Mobile Security for iOS 2.x
- Avast Mobile Security Premium for iOS 2.x
- Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop, API 21) or higher
- iOS 12.0 or higher
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch