Avast Mobile Security is a security app for Android designed to protect your device against unwanted phishing, malware, spyware, and malicious viruses such as Trojans. Refer to the sections in this article for instructions on using Avast Mobile Security.
Navigate Avast Mobile Security
- Tap the Avast Mobile Security icon on the Home screen of your device. The app opens.
- The following options are available via the main app screen:
- Scan now: Scans apps installed on your device and informs you about security risks caused by changes in default Android settings. You can optionally schedule the Scan option to run automatically.
- Hack alerts: Monitors online accounts connected to your email address and notifies you if there has been a hack or leak.
- Clean junk: Analyzes your device and displays the amount of storage space that is being used by junk files. You can view the specific types of junk files on your device and select which items you want to remove.
- Scan Wi-Fi: Scans your Wi-Fi network for problems with your router, encryption, Wi-Fi, and connection. After scanning, the Scan Wi-Fi tile changes to Check speed.
- VPN protection: Allows you to connect to the internet via Avast VPN servers, using an encrypted tunnel to help protect your online activity from eavesdropping.
The VPN protection feature in Avast Mobile Security Premium is only available if you have an Avast Mobile Ultimate subscription. The tile shows as Automatic Scan for customers using Avast Mobile security, which is the free version. For more information, refer to the following article: Avast Mobile Security - FAQs ▸ VPN protection.
- You can access additional features and settings using the options below:
- Home: Returns you to Avast Mobile Security Home screen.
- Explore: View all of the product features.
- Messages: Displays alerts that allow you to easily resolve any detected issues.
- Account: Includes various options, such as signing in to your Avast Account, checking your subscription details, and accessing the settings.
Schedule regular scans
The Scan now button on the main app screen scans apps installed on your device and informs you about security risks caused by changes in default Android settings.
To schedule automatic scans:
- Tap Explore ▸ Scan Center.
- Tap Automatically scan for threats.
- Ensure the slider at the bottom of the screen is On.
- Specify Scan days and Scan time by selecting the days and time when you want the scan to automatically run. Optionally, tap the slider next to Include a Deep Scan to include a scan of the settings, behavior, and storage of your device.
Scheduled scans run automatically as configured.
Turn on Web Shield
Web Shield is designed to automatically block malicious URLs and warns you when you visit a potentially sensitive website. You can specify webpages that are always allowed or blocked. You can also use Scam Protection to check if the links you receive via email or SMS are safe and block or allow specific websites.
To turn on Web Shield:
- Tap Explore ▸ Web Shield.
- Tap Switch on. If prompted, follow the on-screen instructions to grant necessary permissions.
To allow or block specific websites:
- Tap Block or allow websites.
- Select one of the following options:
- Allowed: Add a website that Avast will never block if you know that it is safe to open. We recommend not allowing a website that was previously blocked by Avast.
- Blocked: Add a website that Avast will never allow to open.
- Tap Add website, then enter the URL of the webpage you want to allow or block and tap Add website again.
To remove a website from your Allowed or Blocked list, tap
⋮ More options (the three dots) ▸ Remove.
⋮ More options (the three dots) ▸ Turn off Web Shield.
Configure Photo Vault
Photo Vault allows you to protect access to your photos stored on your device with a PIN code. Photos that are moved to Photo Vault are encrypted and hidden.
To protect photos using Photo Vault:
- Tap Explore ▸ Photo Vault.
- Tap Continue and, if prompted, follow the on-screen instructions to Set up PIN and Grant permissions.
- Once Photo Vault is enabled, tap Add photo and select one of the following options:
- Take new photo: Take a new photo and directly add it to Photo Vault.
- Import from gallery: Select photos from your existing gallery. Taps the photo(s) that you want to hide, then tap Hide now.
The selected photos now appear in your Photo Vault.
Check for hacks and leaks
The Hack Alerts feature monitors online accounts connected to your email address and notifies you if there has been a hack or leak.
To enable Hack Alerts:
- Tap the Hack alerts tile.
- Tap Add email ▸ Go to account.
- Enter your Avast Account credentials, then tap Continue.
- Tap Add email ▸ Add.
- Wait while Avast Mobile Security scans for leaked data involving your email address. The scan results show any affected online accounts or the message No compromised accounts.
Tap Start monitoring ▸ Done.
After the email address is verified, Avast Mobile Security will continuously monitor for new data breaches involving this email address. You can also add additional email addresses to your monitoring list.
Manually check an email address
To manually check an email address for leaks:
- Tap Hack alerts ▸ Check now.
- Enter the email you want to check and tap Check data breaches
Configure App Lock
App Lock helps protect your sensitive apps with a PIN or pattern. To enable this feature:
- Tap Explore ▸ App Lock.
- If prompted, tap Get started and follow the on-screen instructions to Set up PIN and / or Grant permissions. Then, tap Enable app lock.
- If prompted, tap the gray (Off) slider so it changes to green (On).
App Lock is now enabled and you can start protecting apps from the main App Lock screen. Tap the slider next to an app you want to protect so that it changes to green (On).
Manage App Lock settings
To manage App Lock settings:
⋮More options (the three dots) ▸ Settings.
- Tap PIN & pattern to access the options below:
- Change PIN: Set a new Avast PIN. To use this option you must first enter your current Avast PIN.
- Set up pattern: Access protected areas in Avast Mobile Security with a swipe gesture rather than a PIN code.
- Use fingerprint: If your device supports fingerprint unlocking, enable this option to access protected areas in Avast Mobile Security using your fingerprint.
- Make pattern visible: Shows your unlock pattern.
- Tap App Lock timeout and specify when your apps lock. The following options are available:
- Immediately: Immediately after you send it to the background.
- After 10 seconds: 10 seconds after you send it to the background.
- After 30 seconds: 30 seconds after you send it to the background.
- After 1 minute: 1 minute after you send it to the background.
- When screen turns off: When your device screen turns off.
Add Email Guardian
Email Guardian scans your incoming emails when you check them using a web browser. Malicious or phishing emails are marked with an 'Avast: Suspicious' label.
To learn about how to set up and use the feature, refer to the following article:
For more information about the features available in Avast Mobile Security, refer to the following article:
- Avast Mobile Security Premium 24.x for Android
- Avast Mobile Security 24.x for Android
- Google Android 8.0 (Oreo, API 26) or later
Updated on: 02/06/2022