Sandbox is a virtualization tool in Avast Premium Security and Avast Omni that allows you to browse the web or run applications in a virtual, safe environment that is completely isolated from the rest of your PC's system. This feature is useful when you want to run suspicious or untrusted applications without risk.
Run applications in Sandbox
You can run an application in Sandbox using the Windows context menu or via the Sandbox screen in your Avast Antivirus.
Specify automatic Sandbox applications
You can set up specific applications to always run in Sandbox. This can be done using the Windows context menu or via the Sandbox screen in Avast Antivirus.
Manage Sandbox settings
To access Sandbox settings, click the Settings icon in the top-right of the Sandbox screen, or go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Protection ▸ Sandbox.
The following options are enabled by default. To disable a setting, untick the box next to the relevant option:
- Show Avast Sandbox in the Windows context menu: Allows you to right-click an application icon and select Run in sandbox. Disabling this option removes the Sandbox commands from the Windows context menu.
- Allow all virtualized applications to access the internet: Allows applications running in Sandbox to access the internet. Disabling this option stops applications from accessing the internet in Sandbox.
- Save trusted downloaded files outside the sandbox: When using a web browser in Sandbox, files that you download are saved to your PC, outside of the Sandbox environment. When enabled, this option allows you to keep the downloaded files after closing the Sandbox window. Disabling this option results in downloaded files being automatically deleted when you close the Sandbox session.
For information about advanced Sandbox settings, refer to the following article:
- Avast Omni 1.x
- Avast Premium Security 20.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 2, 32 / 64-bit