Passive Mode disables all active protection, such as Core Shields and Firewall, so that you can use more than one antivirus program at a time without interfering with the performance of your PC or the reliability of antivirus detections. In Passive Mode, Avast Antivirus receives all virus definition and program updates which allow you to manually run scans to check for issues on your PC, however Avast does not actively protect you.
Enable Passive Mode
- Open the Avast user interface and select
☰Menu ▸ Settings.
- Select the Troubleshooting tab from the left panel and click the Passive Mode panel to expand the section. Then click the red slider so that it changes to green.
- Click Yes to acknowledge that your active Avast protection will be turned off.
- Click Restart Now to initiate Passive Mode.
Your Avast Antivirus protection is now running in Passive Mode. You can still run scans and check for threats manually, however, Avast is no longer actively protecting your PC.
To disable Passive Mode, repeat the steps above and click the green slider so that it changes to red in step 2.
- Avast Ultimate 18.x
- Avast Premier 18.x
- Avast Internet Security 18.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 18.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 18.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit