If you suspect your PC is infected with malware and all other Antivirus scans (including the Boot-time scan) were unable to resolve the issue, you can use Rescue Disk. Rescue Disk enables you to scan your PC when your system is not running. This method significantly increases your chances of detecting and removing malware because the malware is unable to counteract.
Refer to the following sections for instructions on using Rescue Disk:
Create Rescue Disk
To create Rescue Disk on a blank USB drive or CD you need:
- Another malware-free Windows PC with Avast Antivirus installed. Refer to the relevant article below for installation instructions:
- An empty USB drive with a capacity of 500 MB or higher (Preferred method).
- A blank recordable CD; CD/DVD-writer; burning software which can write in ISO file format (Alternative method).
Boot up your PC from Rescue Disk
After creating a Rescue Disk, you can boot up the PC that contains malware using the external USB (Preferred method) or CD (Alternative method) drive.
Scan your PC for viruses
When Rescue Disk starts on your PC, you can begin to scan for malware.
- Select an option:
Tick Scan all archives to scan compressed files (RAR, ZIP, etc).
- All hard discs: scans the entire PC.
- Selected folders/discs: scans only specific folders or discs on the PC. Click Change to select the folders or discs to scan, then click OK.
- Click Start scan.
- When the scan is finished, review the scan report and results screen for any found threats.
Repair or delete infected files
After scanning your PC, Rescue Disk notifies you of the results. If any threats are found, you can select Fix automatically (Preferred method) or Do it manually (Alternative method).
When your PC restarts you can remove the external USB drive/CD containing Rescue Disk.
- Avast Premium Security 19.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 19.x
- Avast Omni 1.x
- Avast Premier 19.x
- Avast Internet Security 19.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 19.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 2, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 2, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition - Service Pack 3, 32-bit