To prevent DNS leaks, we strongly recommend that you update Avast Antivirus to the latest program version. Alternatively, you can continue to use an older version of Avast Antivirus or your standalone version of Avast SecureLine VPN, and prevent DNS leaks by disabling the "smart multi-homed name resolution" policy setting. Based on your preferred version of Avast SecureLine VPN, refer to the sections in this article for instructions.
Avast SecureLine VPN in the latest version of Avast Antivirus
Avast SecureLine VPN now actively prevents DNS leaks on IPv4 for Windows 10, Windows 8 / 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1 (Service Pack 1) by blocking DNS requests to third party DNS servers. This feature is intended to reduce privacy vulnerabilities due to web activity monitoring and DNS hijacking while using SecureLine VPN. To use the latest version of SecureLine VPN, update your Avast Antivirus program version:
Older version of Avast Antivirus or the standalone version of Avast SecureLine VPN
If you prefer to use an older version of Avast Antivirus or the standalone version of Avast SecureLine VPN on systems running Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 / 8, we advise to disable the "smart multi-homed name resolution" policy. This setting is enabled by default and is intended to optimize DNS queries and improve performance. However, when enabled it leaves you vulnerable to DNS hijacking as well as DNS leaks (which can result in web activity monitoring) even when you are using a VPN.
You can find the settings for this service in DNS Client settings within Local Group Policy Editor.
- Avast SecureLine VPN 1.x for Windows
- Avast Ultimate 17.x
- Avast Premier 17.x
- Avast Internet Security 17.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 17.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 17.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 2, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition - Service Pack 3, 32-bit