Domain Name System (DNS) leaks can sometimes still occur even when you are using Avast SecureLine VPN. You can prevent DNS leaks using one of the methods below:
Use Avast Antivirus
The latest version of Avast Antivirus actively prevents DNS leaks on IPv4 for Windows 10, Windows 8 / 8.1, and Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 with Convenient Rollup Update).
If you already use a version of Avast Antivirus, ensure that your application is up-to-date. For instructions, refer to the following article:
Otherwise, you can install Avast Free Antivirus. For instructions, refer to the following article:
Manage Windows settings
If you do not want to use Avast Antivirus, we recommend disabling the "smart multi-homed name resolution" setting in Microsoft Windows 8 and higher to prevent DNS leaks. This setting is intended to optimize DNS queries and improve performance. However, when enabled, it can leave you vulnerable to DNS hijacking and DNS leaks.
- Avast SecureLine VPN 5.x for Windows
- Avast Omni 21.x for Windows
- Avast Premium Security 21.x for Windows
- Avast Free Antivirus 21.x for Windows
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1 with Convenient Rollup Update, 32 / 64-bit