What is performance recording?
Performance recording allows you to easily report an issue if you think that Avast Antivirus is affecting the performance of your PC. When you run performance recording, Avast Antivirus captures technical data relating to your system performance. After you submit the recording, we can analyze the captured data to verify if Avast Antivirus is causing your issue.
When should I use performance recording?
Performance recording is useful if you think that Avast Antivirus is causing one of the following issues on your PC:
- Your PC is running more slowly than normal.
- A third-party application on your PC is running slowly or behaving unusually.
How can I use performance recording?
Follow the steps below to create and submit a recording:
- Open Avast Antivirus, and go to
☰Menu ▸ Settings.
- Ensure General is selected in the left panel, then click Troubleshooting.
- Click Open recorder.
If you do not see this option, refer to the following section of this article:
- Provide a brief description of your issue, then click Start recording.
- Reproduce your issue. For example, if a third-party application is running more slowly than normal, try opening and using this application.
- Optionally, enter your email address so we can contact you for further details. Then, click Send.
The recording is now submitted.
What data do I share when I use performance recording?
When you use performance recording, you share technical data that relates to the performance of your PC. This includes:
- Processor performance
- Registry performance
- Network performance
- The performance of any apps that are running on your PC
- Snapshots of process stacks
- The names of any files that are open on your PC
You do not share any of the data listed below:
- Images showing your screen
- Sounds and audio
- The webpages that are open in your browser
- The contents of any files or folders on your PC
- The passwords that are stored on your PC
- The programs and files that are stored in your RAM
What happens after I submit a recording?
After you submit a recording, we analyze the captured data to verify if Avast Antivirus is causing your issue. If we discover that Avast Antivirus is the cause, we can ensure that the issue is fixed in a subsequent application update.
You normally do not receive a direct response from us after submitting a recording. However, if you provide a contact email address when you submit a recording, we may contact you for further details relating to your issue.
Why is the performance recording option not available?
Performance recording is only available on PCs running Windows 10. You cannot use performance recording on Windows 8 or Windows 7.
Performance recording is available in Avast Premium Security and Avast Free Antivirus version 21.2 and later. If you are running Windows 10, but you do not see the Start recording option, we recommend updating to the latest application version. For instructions, refer to the following article:
- Avast Premium Security 21.x for Windows
- Avast Free Antivirus 21.x for Windows
- Microsoft Windows 11 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1 with Convenient Rollup Update, 32 / 64-bit
Updated on: 02/06/2022