Avast Antivirus includes a range of Virus Scans to protect your PC against malware. While customizable settings are available for some scans, we recommend you only modify settings for temporary troubleshooting purposes. Refer to the instructions in this article to adjust scan settings for the following Virus Scans:
- Full Virus Scan: performs an in-depth scan of your system, checking all hard drives, rootkits, and auto-start programs.
- Targeted Scan: scans files or folders, similar to a Targeted Scan, but is only available from the Windows context menu when you right-click a selected file or folder in File Explorer or on your Desktop.
- Explorer Scan: performans a scan of folders or drives that you specify. This scan is only available in the Windows context menu.
- Boot-Time Scan: performs a scan of your PC for malware that is hard to reach after startup.
You can determine the sensitivity of the scan by adjusting the scan sensitivity settings. The higher the sensitivity, the higher the protection and potential for false positive malware detections. Reducing the sensitivity reduces the chance of false positive detections, but may also reduce the effectiveness of the scans. Scan sensitivity is set to Medium sensitivity by default, but can be adjusted to High sensitivity or Low sensitivity. Scan sensitivity is customizable for Full Virus Scan, Targeted Scan, and Boot-Time Scan.
In this section you can determine the areas that are scanned on your PC. The Scan areas settings are only available for Full Virus Scan and Boot-Time Scan.
Packers and Archives
In the Packers and Archives section you can specify the compressed file types that you want Avast to unpack during the scan. These settings are available for Full Virus Scan, Targeted Scan, and Explorer Scan.
Specify the file types that are prioritized when scanning your PC for malware. These settings are available for Full Virus Scan, Targeted Scan, and Explorer Scan.
Although it is not recommended to exclude any files or folders from a scan, you can define certain exceptions to temporarily exclude particular files or folders from a Full Virus Scan or Targeted Scan for troubleshooting purposes.
- Avast Ultimate 19.1
- Avast Premier 19.1
- Avast Internet Security 19.1
- Avast Pro Antivirus 19.1
- Avast Free Antivirus 19.1
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit