How can I access Anti-Theft?
The newest version of Anti-Theft is included in Avast Mobile Security. To start using this feature:
- Download and install Avast Mobile Security from the Google Play Store. For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
- To access Anti-Theft, open Avast Mobile Security and go to
☰Menu (three lines) ▸ Anti-Theft.
- To get access to the additional options offered by Anti-Theft, upgrade to a paid version of Avast Mobile Security. For more information, refer to following article:
I have a standalone version of Anti-Theft. Do I need to uninstall it?
If you have already downloaded Anti-Theft from Google Play Store and installed it as a standalone app, you can keep using it. All features are still available for you free of charge. However, this app does not receive new updates and is no longer available to download from Google Play Store. We recommend that customers start using the new Anti-Theft feature as part of Avast Mobile Security to keep your device updated and protected.
What additional Anti-Theft options are included in paid versions of Avast Mobile Security?
Anti-Theft with a paid version of Avast Mobile Security offers the additional features below:
- Camera trap: capture a photo of the thief when an incorrect PIN is entered.
- Audio recording: secretly record the phone's surroundings at any time.
- Last known location: sends a location notification to your Avast Account when the device battery is dying.
- PIN security: locks your device and sounds an alarm after 8 failed unlock attempts.
You need to upgrade Avast Mobile Security to access to these features.
Features and Settings
What is Cloud storage?
With a paid version of Avast Mobile Security, Anti-Theft automatically takes a photo of the possible thief and records an audio file (1-minute recording by default) when you mark your device as Lost. By default, these files are sent only to your Avast Account.
To additionally send the photo and audio file to your Google Drive:
- Open Avast Mobile Security and go to
☰Menu (three lines) ▸ Anti-Theft.
- Scroll to When Device Is Marked As Lost.
- Tap Cloud storage for Camera Trap and recordings.
- Select Google Drive.
Any photos or audio recordings are now sent both to your Google Drive and to your Avast Account.
What is PIN security?
PIN security marks your device as Lost after eight failed login attempts with your Avast PIN. PIN security is enabled by default. You can disable this feature via
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Anti-Theft ▸ PIN security.
What is Lock screen message?
Anti-Theft allows you to prepare a message, for example a warning or contact data, which appears on the lock screen if your device is lost or stolen. To set up a personalized message, go to
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Anti-Theft ▸ Lock screen message.
What is 'Web control on my.avast.com'?
Before you can enable Anti-Theft, Avast Mobile Security must be connected to your Avast Account. This is necessary if you want to control your device remotely in the case of loss or theft. If you want to verify the connected Avast Account, or connect to a different Avast Account, go to
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Anti-Theft ▸ Web control on my.avast.com.
What is the 'PIN & pattern' section?
PIN & Pattern allows you to manage your Avast PIN that you need to enter before accessing various components in Avast Mobile Security. Go to
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Anti-Theft ▸ PIN & pattern. The following options are available:
- Change PIN: Set a new Avast PIN. To use this option you must first enter your current Avast PIN.
- Set pattern: Enable this option to access protected areas in Avast Mobile Security with a swipe gesture rather than a PIN code.
- Unlock with fingerprint: If your device supports fingerprint unlocking, enable this option to access protected areas in Avast Mobile Security using your fingerprint.
What is Command history?
You can review the history of commands received by and sent from your device. Go to
☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ Anti-Theft ▸ Command history.
What is the 'When Device Is Marked As Lost' section?
You can specify how the device behaves when you mark your device as Lost. Enable or disable the options below:
- Lock device: Makes your device inaccessible to intruders.
- Sound siren: Activates the siren on your device to alert you or others to its location.
- Camera Trap: Captures a photo of the thief and records a 1-minute audio file to help you identify the thief.
These settings are applied only if you mark your device as Lost. You can mark your device as Lost via your Avast Account. All options are enabled by default to provide maximum protection in the case of loss or theft.
How do I remotely control my lost or stolen device with Anti-Theft?
Anti-Theft offers several commands that may be used if you want to locate your lost phone, secure your data, or contact a possible thief. For more details, refer to the following article:
Can I reset a forgotten Avast PIN?
For detailed instructions to reset your Avast PIN, refer to the following article:
- Avast Anti-Theft for Android
- Avast Mobile Security 6.x
- Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop, API 21) or higher