Avast Security for Mac is an essential security software that prevents viruses, spyware, and other malicious threats from infecting your Mac.
This article contains instructions to download and install Avast Security on a macOS device.
Install Avast Security
- Click the button below to download the Avast Security setup file, and save it in a familiar location on your Mac (by default, downloaded files are saved to your Downloads folder.) Download Avast Security for Mac
- Double-click the downloaded setup file
- Double-click the Avast Security icon, then close the window.
- Click Continue.
- Click Continue to confirm that you have read the End User License Agreement, then click Agree to confirm that you accept the terms.
- Click Install to proceed with default installation, or click Change Install Location... or Customize if you want to make changes to the default setup.
- If prompted, use your Touch ID to grant permission for the installation, or click Use Password..., then enter your Administrator Password and click Install Software.
- Click OK to allow Avast Security to access your downloads folder.
- When the System Extension Blocked notification appears, click OK.
- Optionally, untick the box if you do not want Google Chrome installed as your default browser, then click Continue.
- Click Close.
- Click Move to Trash.
- Click OK to allow the Avast Security installer to access your downloads folder.
Avast Security is now installed on your Mac. To complete the initial setup, follow the on-screen instructions to allow permissions for Avast Security. For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
If you experience any installation issues:
- Ensure your Mac meets the minimum system requirements:
- Apple macOS 11.x (Big Sur), Apple macOS 10.15.x (Catalina), Apple macOS 10.14.x (Mojave), Apple macOS 10.13.x (High Sierra), Apple macOS 10.12.x (Sierra), Apple Mac OS X 10.11.x (El Capitan), Apple Mac OS X 10.10.x (Yosemite).
- Intel based Mac with 64-bit processor.
- 512 MB RAM or above (1 GB RAM or higher preferred).
- 750 MB free space on the hard disk.
- Internet connection to download, activate, and maintain application updates and the antivirus database.
- Optimally standard screen resolution no less than 1024 x 768 pixels.
- Uninstall any previous antivirus software from your Mac. For instructions, refer to the following article:
- Restart your Mac, then try to install Avast Security again by following the exact steps in this article.
If the issue persists, contact Avast Support.
For more information about features available in Avast Security, refer to the following article:
- Avast Security 14.x for Mac
- Apple macOS 11.x (Big Sur)
- Apple macOS 10.15.x (Catalina)
- Apple macOS 10.14.x (Mojave)
- Apple macOS 10.13.x (High Sierra)
- Apple macOS 10.12.x (Sierra)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.11.x (El Capitan)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.10.x (Yosemite)