Avast Cleanup for Android - Getting Started
Use Avast Cleanup on your Android device.
Avast Cleanup for Android is a mobile app designed to help improve the performance of your device and preserve storage space by removing unnecessary media, files, apps, and app data. Remove these items by transferring them to a cloud storage account and/or deleting them from your device. You can also optimize photos so they consume less space.
Refer to the sections in this article for instructions on using Avast Cleanup for Android.
After downloading and installing Avast Cleanup from the Google Play Store, follow these steps to start using the app:
- Tap Get Started.
- From the welcome screen, select one of the following options:
- If you have already purchased a paid version of Avast Cleanup, tap ⋮ Menu (three dots) ▸ Enter voucher code, and enter a valid activation code. For detailed instructions, refer to the article below:
- To purchase a paid version of Avast Cleanup, select a subscription and follow on-screen instructions to complete the purchase.
- Tap Basic Version to continue with the free version.
- Tap Start Here to begin using Avast Cleanup.
- Tap Grant permissions ▸ Allow to allow Avast Cleanup various permissions that are necessary for app functionality.
- You are directed to the Usage Data Access menu. Select Avast Cleanup, and tap the OFF slider so it changes to ON.
- To allow Avast Cleanup to show notifications over other apps, tap the OFF slider so it changes to ON.
- You are directed to the Accessibility menu. Select Avast Cleanup (you may have to first select Installed services), then tap the OFF slider so it changes to ON.
- Tap Run the scan so that Avast Cleanup can analyze your device.
- Once Avast Cleanup has scanned your device, tap Start Cleaning to perform your first Quick Clean, and Boost your device's memory by putting apps that are running in the background to sleep.
Avast Cleanup is now configured and ready to use.
Navigate the Avast Cleanup interface
- Tap the Avast Cleanup icon on your device's Home Screen to open the app.
- The Avast Cleanup interface shows the Quick Clean button, four tiles representing the main options, and the
☰Menu button (three lines).
- Quick Clean: Removes unnecessary files to release storage space. Avast Cleanup Pro users can enable Automatic Cleaning to perform regular Quick Cleans automatically. You can choose how regularly cleanings occur and the minimum amount of space you want to clean.
- Boost Memory: Allows you to hibernate apps to free memory and boost performance.
- Tips: Offers tips to release space on your device.
- Photos: Optimizes your photos by decreasing their pixel size so they consume less space. This feature also displays photos that you may want to delete to open additional storage space on your device.
- Apps: Offers tips related to app usage, such as uninstalling never or rarely used apps, or apps that use a large amount of space.
The main Avast Cleanup screen also contains the
☰ Menu icon (three lines) in the top-left corner. The menu provides access to your device storage, the Cloud services menu, a range of cleaning and optimization tools, and gives you access to the app settings.
Perform a Quick Clean
Quick Clean cleans your device by removing unnecessary files to free storage space. You can select which item types are removed before you clean.
- Tap the Quick Clean button.
- In Quick Clean Check, tick the item types you want to clean. Item types are divided into 2 sections (you may see one or both sections, depending what types of data Avast Cleanup detects on your device):
- Safe to clean: this is data that has been carefully selected to ensure that it is truly dispensable, including thumbnails, APKS, residual files, and hidden, visible, and shared cache. All categories are ticked by default as Safe to clean, except Thumbnails.
- For your consideration: this is data which may or may not be valuable to you. We recommend reviewing items included in this group and ticking only those items which are dispensable. All items are unticked by default and will not be deleted unless you manually select them for deletion.
- Tap the down arrow next to an item type to view specific items on your device. Untick any items you don't want to be cleaned.
- Tap Finish Cleaning to clear selected items.
Boost your device's memory
The Boost Memory feature stops non-system apps from running in the background, releasing memory space for other tasks.
- Tap the Boost Memory tile.
- Tick the apps you want to hibernate (all non-system apps are ticked by default), then tap Hibernate.
Optimize your photos
The Photos feature resizes your images to occupy less space, and cleans unnwanted photos from your device. Images that are already the same size as your device screen (for example, screenshots) are not optimizable. To optimize your photos:
- Tap the Photos tile on the main app screen.
- Under Optimizable photos tap Review and Optimize.
- All photos are selected by default. To optimize photos individually, tap Deselect All and tick the photos you want to optimize. Tap Optimize at the bottom of the screen to optimize selected images.
- Tap Connect to Cloud to transfer originals to your preferred cloud service, or tap Delete originals to remove your original photos after optimization.
Remove unwanted photos from your device
In addition to Optimizing your photos, Avast Cleanup also helps you to free storage space by identifying images that you may want to remove from your device.
- Tap the Photos tile on the main app screen.
- Tap Review and Clean under your chosen photo group:
- Similar photos: Identifies the best photo of a group of similar photos and suggests lesser quality photos for deletion.
- Bad photos: Scans for photos which are blurry, dark, or poor quality.
- Old photos: Scans for potentially old, unwanted photos.
- Screenshots: Scans for potentially unwanted screenshots.
- Photos for review: Displays images that you may want to remove. Swipe left to delete a displayed photo, or swipe right to keep it.
- All photos are unselected by default. Tap Select All, or tick images individually.
- Follow the relevant step below depending on the option you see:
- Tap Delete Photos to permanently delete selected photos from your device.
- Tap the icon (three dots), then tap Connect to Cloud to transfer photos to your preferred cloud service, or tap Remove from Device to permanently delete photos.
- Tap Back to Tips to clean additional photo groups.
Analyze your apps
To access the Apps Overview screen, tap the Apps tile on the main app screen. This screen contains the following options:
- Manage installed apps: The following tiles are displayed at the top of the screen. Click a tile to manage your apps or app data:
- Installed: Apps you have installed that are not necessary for the running of your device. You can remove Installed apps.
- System: Apps that are necessary for the running of your device. System apps can be hibernated, but not removed from your device.
- App Data: View and delete app data stored on your device.
- Storage: View usage and storage data individually for each app installed on your device.
- Drainers: identify apps that may be draining your data and battery. Apps are divided into the following categories:
- Data: Displays apps that are running in the background and using your mobile data. Tick one or more apps, and select Hibernate to stop selected apps running in the background.
- Storage: Displays apps that are taking up the most space on your device. Tick one or more apps, tap (three dots), and select Remove from device or Hibernate.
- Battery: Displays apps that are draining your battery life. Tick one or more apps, and select Hibernate to stop selected apps running in the background.
- Usage: Displays apps based on frequency of use. You can view Least used, Most used, and Unused apps. After tapping a category, tick one or more apps, tap (three dots), and select Remove from device or Hibernate to stop selected apps running in the background.
- Running: Displays the number of apps currently running in the background. Tap Quick Boost to immediately hibernate running apps and speed up your device.
- Growing: Displays apps that are growing and occupying more space on your device than previously. Tap an app to view your list of Growing apps. Tick one or more apps, tap (three dots), and select Remove from device or Hibernate.
- Notifying: Displays apps that are sending the most notifications. Tap this panel to view your list of Notifying apps. Tick one or more apps, tap (three dots), and select Remove from device or Hibernate.
Set Automatic Cleaning (Avast Cleanup Pro only)
The Automatic Cleaning feature (available in Avast Cleanup Pro) allows you to schedule automatic cleaning of your device.
- Tap Quick Clean ▸ Automatic Cleaning.
- To enable Automatic Cleaning, tap the OFF slider so it changes to ON.
- Set how regularly Avast Cleanup performs scans, and the minimum amount of space you want to clean by tapping the dots above the numbers. You can also choose to receive a notification about each cleaning by tapping the slider next to Notify me when cleaning is complete.
- Select which file types are removed during Automatic Cleaning. All file types except Thumbnails are enabled by default. To deselect a file type for cleaning, tap the ON slider by the chosen file type so it changes to OFF.
Automatic cleaning occurs as often as you specify, without you having to activate it each time.
Create a Battery Saver profile
Battery saver in Avast Cleanup allows you to create Battery Profiles, which make it easy to change the behavior of your device based on where you are. You can also create a Low Battery profile, which automatically changes the behavior of your device when the battery level drops to a certain percentage. To get started with battery saving in Avast Cleanup, follow these steps:
- Tap the
☰Menu icon (three lines) in the top-left corner of the app interface.
- Tap Battery Saver.
- To optimize your battery tap Create a Profile.
- Choose from one of the following profiles; Car, Work, Home, or Low Battery and tap Next.
- Choose which settings should change when your battery is low.
- WiFi: Specify if your device can connect to WiFi when the current profile is active.
- Bluetooth: Specify if your device can connect to Bluetooth when the current profile is active.
- Screen timeout: Select after how long your screen times out when the current profile is active.
- Tap Next to confirm settings for the current profile.
- Choose when the current profile activates. Depending which profile you are creating, the following options are available:
- Low Battery profile: To automatically activate the current profile each time your device's battery reaches a specified level, tap When battery level reaches... and drag the slider to the desired percentage.
- Car, Work, or Home profile: To automatically activate the current profile each time your device connects to a specified Wi-Fi network, tap When connected to Wi-Fi and tick one or more Wi-Fi networks. Tap When phone is charging to specify if the profile activates when your device is Charging or Not Charging.
- Tap OK to confirm settings for the current profile, then tap Next to return to the main Battery Saver screen.
From the main Battery Saver screen, the following options are available:
- To enable or disable Battery Saver, tap the slider at the top of the screen.
- To enable or disable an existing Battery Saver profile, tap the slider next to the relevant profile.
- To edit or delete an existing Battery Saver profile, tap ⋮ (three dots) next to the relevant profile and select Edit or Delete.
- Tap Add a new profile to create a new Battery Saver profile.
- Tap the slider next to Notify me when profile activates to specify if Avast Cleanup notifies you each time a Battery Saver profile is activated.
Configure Avast Cleanup settings
To access Avast Cleanup settings:
- Tap the
☰Menu icon (three lines) in the top-left corner of the app interface.
- Scroll to Settings.
- Tap a category to manage the related settings.
- Analysis Preferences: Configure Avast Cleanup to prioritize tips that are most relevant to you. To prioritize a tip category, tap the ☰ icon (three lines) by the category and drag the item up.
- Notifications: Specify which issues Avast Cleanup notifies you about. Active notification types are marked ON.
- Real-time detection: Enable App leftover detection. This allows Avast Cleanup to detect files, folders, and app data left behind by apps that you have uninstalled.
- Subscription: View your Activation Code and Learn More about Avast Mobile Subscriptions. You can also Unlink your current subscription if you want to use your activation code on an alternative device. This option only appears in the paid Avast Cleanup Pro and other paid versions of Avast Cleanup.
- Charging screen: Specify how you want your Charging screen to behave.
- Cloud services: Tap Connect next to a cloud storage provider (Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive) to connect to your account or create a new account, and enable settings that you want to apply to your cloud transfers.
- Personal Privacy: Enable or disable the option to share anonymous data with third parties.
- Photo Optimizer: Contains options to customize the optimization of your images. This option is available in Avast Cleanup Pro and other paid versions of Avast Cleanup.
- Remove Ads: This option only appears in the free version of Avast Cleanup. Tap to upgrade to a paid version of Avast Cleanup and remove ads from your Avast Cleanup experience.
Paid settings are marked as Pro. If you do not already have a paid subscription, tap Upgrade to proceed to the purchase screen.
Upgrade to a Paid Version of Avast Cleanup
Upgrade to a paid version of Avast Cleanup to unlock a range of advanced features.
- Tap Upgrade in the top-right corner of the app interface.
- From the upgrade screen, select one of the following options:
- If you have already purchased a paid Avast Cleanup subscription, tap ⋮ Menu (three dots) ▸ Enter voucher code, and enter a valid activation code. For detailed instructions, refer to the article below:
- If you have not yet purchased a subsctiption, select a subscription option and follow on-screen instructions to complete the purchase.
After you complete the payment, the premium features of your paid Avast Cleanup subscription are unlocked on your device. Your purchased subscription is valid across all devices which have Avast Cleanup installed and are connected to your Google account.
- Avast Cleanup 4.x for Android
- Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop, API 21) or higher