This article is about Avast Passwords installed on Windows PCs with Avast Antivirus. If you want to configure Avast Passwords on mobile devices, please read the following article:
Refer to the sections in this article for instructions on using Avast Passwords on Windows PCs with Avast Antivirus.
Set up Passwords
Before you start using Avast Passwords an initial configuration is needed:
- Start by opening your Avast Antivirus user interface and select Privacy ▸ Passwords.
- Click Get started to start configuration.
- Click Activate in Google Chrome.
- Click Install in your Google Chrome browser, then click Add extension in the dialog that appears. A confirmation screen indicates that the extension is Installed.
- Click Activate in Mozilla Firefox, and follow these steps in your Mozilla Firefox browser:
- Click Install, then click Allow in the dialog that appears.
- Click Install in the next dialog. A confirmation screen indicates that the extension is Installed.
When you activate the Avast Passwords browser extension, the passwords saved in your internet browser(s) are automatically imported to Avast Passwords. If you do not have any passwords saved in your browser(s), you need to click Add manually and provide the login details for your online accounts one by one.
Passwords that are imported are not automatically deleted from your internet browser(s). We recommend you manually delete all passwords from your browser(s).
Set up your Master Password
Master Password protects your accounts and other data added to Avast Passwords and enables you to log in to all your accounts by using only one password. To set up your Master Password, follow these steps:
Each time you log into an online account in your internet browser for the first time, the Avast Passwords browser extension recognizes the new login attempt and offers to save the account details to Avast Passwords. Alternatively, you can add the details of an account manually on the Avast Passwords screen by following these steps:
A tile representing your newly added account details appears on the main Passwords screen.
To edit or delete a previously added account:
Avast Passwords offers you to securely store your card details by adding them manually on the Avast Passwords screen. Follow these steps:
A tile representing your newly added card details appears on the main Passwords screen.
To edit or delete a previously added card:
The Secure Notes section is a place where you can safely store notes in Avast Passwords. All notes are encrypted and protected by your Master Password to ensure maximum security. This feature protects your confidential information from unauthorized access. Add a new note by following these steps:
A tile representing your newly added note appears on the main Passwords screen.
To edit or delete a previously added note:
Use the Avast Passwords browser extension
Once you have installed the Avast Passwords browser extension onto your internet browser, an Avast Passwords key icon is visible next to the search bar in the browser. Click the key icon to access the following options:
Set up synchronization and backup
To make accessing your online accounts easier, synchronize the data stored in Avast Passwords across all of your devices using your Avast Account. For more information read the following article:
Activate Avast Passwords Premium features
After you purchase an Avast Passwords Premium subscription, you can activate your program with the activation code included in your order confirmation email. For more information, refer to the following article:
Adjust Avast Passwords settings
To manage your Avast Passwords settings, Open your Avast Antivirus user interface and go to Settings ▸ Passwords. This tab is only visible after you set up Avast Passwords in Privacy ▸ Passwords.
The following options are available:
Use Password Guardian (premium feature)
After you have added account details to Avast Passwords, we recommend you use the premium Password Guardian feature to check the security of your passwords based on how difficult they are to decipher, if there are some duplicates and ensure that your passwords did not leak.
We recommend you to increase the strength and complexity of a password by following these steps:
Enable One Touch Login (premium feature)
One Touch Login allows you to use your Android or iOS mobile device to access Avast Passwords installed on your Windows PC. One Touch Login is only available as the paid feature of Avast Passwords. Instructions for setting up and using this feature can be found in the following article:
- Avast Passwords 1.x
- Avast Ultimate 17.x
- Avast Premier 17.x
- Avast Internet Security 17.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 17.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 17.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 2, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition - Service Pack 3, 32-bit
- Open your Avast Antivirus user interface and go to Settings.
- In the Passwords tab, click Create Master Password. This tab is only visible after you set up Avast Passwords in Privacy ▸ Passwords.
- Create the Master Password that complies with the on-screen requirements and retype it. Then tick the box to acknowledge that we are unable to restore or reset your Master Password if you forget it. Confirm your changes by clicking OK.
- Click Logins.
- Click Add account.
- Optionally select a color for the account (this color appears in the account icon), then provide the following details:
- Account name: a name that will allow you to easily find and recognize your account.
- Web address: the website address of the account, for example
- Username: the username (often an email address) that you use to log into the account.
- Password: the password that you currently use to log into the account.
- Note: an additional information about the account.
- Click an account tile to open the account contents.
- Click Edit, then:
- Modify the existing account, and click Save to confirm your changes.
- Click Delete to completely remove the account.
- Click Credit Cards.
- Click Add card.
- Provide the following details:
- Card number: a number of the card.
- Custom card name: a name that allows you to recognize this card.
- Cardholder name: a name and last name of cardholder.
- Expiration date: the expiration date of the card.
- CVC/CVV: a 3 or 4 digit security number that is visible on the signature panel on the back of the card.
- PIN: a PIN code protecting the card.
- Note: additional details related to the card.
- Click an account tile to open the card contents.
- Click Edit, then:
- Modify the existing card, and click Save to confirm your changes.
- Click Delete to completely remove the card.
- Click Secure Notes.
- Click Add note.
- Optionally select a color for the note (this color appears in the note icon), then provide the following details:
- Title: a title that will allow you to easily find and recognize your note.
- Note contents: any data that you want to keep secure, such as PINs and contact details.
- Click a note tile to open the note contents.
- Click Edit, then:
- Modify the existing note, and click Save to confirm your changes.
- Click Delete to completely remove the note.
- Avast Passwords: click to open the main screen of Avast Passwords.
- On this website: adjust the following settings:
- Enable auto-fill: turn on to enable Avast Passwords to automatically input your login details for the currently opened website.
- Ask to save passwords: turn on to enable Avast Passwords to offer to save your login details each time you access a new online account.
- Generate a strong password: helps you generate a strong password.
- Lock Avast Passwords: lock your open Avast Passwords window.
- Security: set or change your Master Password, and specify when and how often Avast prompts you for your Master Password.
- One Touch Login (paid feature): use your mobile device to log into your online accounts. For more information read the following article:
- Synchronization: sync your Avast Passwords with your Avast Account so that you can use them across all your devices. For more information about synchronization read the following article:
- Browser integration: select the internet browser(s) that you want to use Avast Passwords with.
- Import passwords: import passwords from your internet browser or Avast EasyPass (discontinued).
- Export password: export passwords from Avast Passwords.
- Click Password Guardian.
- Click Details next to an account you want to edit your password for.
- Click Log in to change the password for the account directly on the website or click Edit to change a password in Passwords.