WebRTC is a feature that supports B2B applications such as voice calling, video chat, and P2P file sharing without any need for plugins. There is an issue with WebRTC affecting Windows, macOS and Android operating systems that allows the IP address to be discovered in browsers which apply WebRTC (such as Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox). A website could potentially exploit WebRTC, making your actual IP address visible even when connected to a VPN services such as Avast SecureLine VPN.
We are actively looking for a solution to fix this issue. However, you can still protect your privacy in the meantime by blocking or disabling WebRTC. Or, avoid the vulnerability by using a browser which does not apply WebRTC. To disable WebRTC, refer to the sections in this article for instructions according to your operating system and web browser.
In Google Chrome for Android, you can manually block WebRTC using a Chrome Flag (experimental setting):
chrome://flags/#disable-webrtcin the address bar and press Enter.
- Press Enable. This in fact disables the WebRTC feature.
- Reboot your phone.
Chrome Flags are subject to change or disappear at any time.
- Avast SecureLine VPN 1.x for Windows
- Avast SecureLine VPN 2.x for Mac
- Avast SecureLine VPN 2.x for Android
- Avast Ultimate 17.x
- Avast Premier 17.x
- Avast Internet Security 17.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 17.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 17.x
- Avast Security Pro 12.x for Mac
- Avast Security 12.x for Mac
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 2, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition - Service Pack 3, 32-bit
- Apple macOS 10.13.x (High Sierra)
- Apple macOS 10.12.x (Sierra)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.11.x (El Capitan)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.10.x (Yosemite)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.9.x (Mavericks)
- Google Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich, API 15) or higher