Passive Mode disables all active protection, such as Core Shields and Firewall, so you can use more than one antivirus program at a time without interfering with the performance of your PC or the reliability of antivirus detections. In Passive Mode, Avast Antivirus still receives all virus definitions and program updates that allow you to manually scan for issues on your PC, but Avast can not actively protect you.
By default, Passive Mode is disabled. If Avast Antivirus is the only antivirus software installed on your PC, we recommend only activating Passive Mode temporarily for troubleshooting purposes. To keep your PC actively protected from malware and other security threats, ensure that Passive Mode is not enabled and the following conditions are met:
Enable Passive Mode
- Open the Avast user interface and select
☰Menu ▸ Settings.
- Ensure the General tile is selected in the left panel, and click Troubleshooting.
- Tick the box next to Enable Passive Mode.
- Click Restart Now on the main screen of Avast Antivirus to initiate Passive Mode.
Your Avast Antivirus protection is now running in Passive Mode.
- Avast Premium Security 20.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 20.x
- Avast Omni 1.x
- Avast Premier 20.x
- Avast Internet Security 20.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.x / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 2, 32 / 64-bit