What is Avast Cleanup Premium?
Avast Cleanup Premium is an optimization tool that scans for and resolves performance, storage, and security issues on your PC. Avast Cleanup Premium is a paid product and requires a separate, paid subscription to use.
How will Avast Cleanup Premium improve the performance of my PC?
With frequent use, the reliability and performance of your PC begins to decline. You may notice the following issues:
- Programs that run very slowly, crash, or freeze.
- A lack of disk space.
- Pop-ups from 'bloatware' programs.
When you use Avast Cleanup Premium to scan for and resolve issues on your PC, you enhance your PC's performance, clear disk space, and eliminate unwanted programs and security risks.
Can I use my PC during a scan?
Yes, you can continue to use your PC while Avast Cleanup Premium scans and cleans. However, we recommend that you review the scan results to confirm any actions before Avast Cleanup Premium cleans your PC.
Download and Installation
What are the system requirements for Avast Cleanup Premium?
- Windows 10 except Mobile and IoT Core Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows 8/8.1 except RT and Starter Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows 7 SP1 or higher, any Edition (32 or 64-bit).
- Windows fully compatible PC with Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 processor or above (must support SSE2 instructions).
- 256 MB RAM or above.
- 100 MB free space on the hard disk.
- Internet connection to download, activate, and maintain application updates.
- Optimal standard screen resolution no less than 1024 x 768 pixels.
How can I download and install Avast Cleanup Premium?
To install Avast Cleanup Premium on a Windows PC:
- Click the button below to download the Avast Cleanup Premium setup file, and save it to a familiar location on your PC (by default, downloaded files are saved to your Downloads folder).
Download Avast Cleanup Premium for Windows
- Right-click the downloaded setup file
avast_cleanup_setup.exeand select Run as administrator from the context menu.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Avast Cleanup Premium on your PC.
After installation, you must activate the product using your Avast Account or a valid activation code. For detailed installation instructions, refer to the following articles:
Can I use Avast Cleanup Premium without installing Avast Antivirus?
Yes. Avast Cleanup Premium can be installed as a standalone application without Avast Free Antivirus or Avast Premium Security installed on your PC.
Is Avast Cleanup Premium included when I purchase Avast Antivirus?
No. Avast Cleanup Premium requires a separate, paid subscription to use. You cannot use an Avast Premium Security subscription to activate Avast Cleanup Premium.
Subscription and Activation
How do I activate a paid subscription?
If you purchased Avast Cleanup Premium through another Avast program or the Avast Store, your subscription is activated automatically. If you purchase Avast Cleanup Premium before installation, you need to manually activate the program. There are two ways to do this from the main Avast Cleanup Premium interface:
- Avast Account: Activate the product via the Avast account connected to the email address you used to make the purchase. To do this, click
☰Menu ▸ My licenses ▸ Sign in to your Avast Account and enter your account credentials.
- Activation Code: Activate the product using the activation code from your order confirmation email. To do this, click
☰Menu ▸ My licenses ▸ Enter a valid activation code and enter your activation code.
For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
How do I purchase Avast Cleanup Premium?
If you already use Avast Antivirus, follow these steps to purchase Avast Cleanup Premium:
- Open the Avast user interface and go to Performance ▸ Cleanup Premium.
- Click Scan Now.
- After Avast Cleanup Premium performs an initial scan, click Resolve All.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to purchase and install Avast Cleanup Premium.
If you do not use Avast Antivirus, you can purchase an Avast Cleanup Premium subscription from the Avast website.
Is there a free-trial version of Avast Cleanup Premium available?
Yes. After installing Avast Cleanup Premium, you have free access to all features and functions for a limited time period. When the free-trial period ends, you need to purchase a subscription to continue using the application.
How do I know when my subscription expires?
Open Avast Cleanup Premium and go to
☰ Menu ▸ My licenses. The subscription duration and expiration date are listed under Subscriptions on this PC.
Can I use my Avast Cleanup Premium subscription on multiple devices?
You can use your Avast Cleanup Premium activation code on the number of PCs you specified during purchase.
What should I do if my purchased subscription or activation code doesn't work?
If Avast Cleanup Premium does not accept your activation code, follow the troubleshooting steps below:
- Use your Avast Account to find your activation code, then try to activate the subscription again.
- If activation fails, uninstall Avast Cleanup Premium and restart your PC.
- Download and install the latest version of Avast Cleanup Premium.
- In the Avast Cleanup Premium user interface, go to
☰Menu ▸ My licenses, then try activating your subscription again.
If your activation code is still not accepted, contact Avast Support.
Settings and Usage
How do I use Avast Cleanup Premium?
For detailed instructions to use Avast Cleanup Premium, refer to the following article:
How do I adjust Avast Cleanup Premium settings?
Open Avast Cleanup Premium and go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings. From the Settings screen, you can perform the following actions:
- Language: change the language of the user interface.
- Notifications: select which notifications you receive from Avast Cleanup Premium.
- Personal privacy: manage which app-usage data you want to share.
- Rescue Center: specify which actions can be reversed via Rescue Center, and decide after how long backups are deleted.
- System tray icon: tick to show the icon in your system tray at Windows startup.
- Troubleshooting: enable debug logging if you need to send a log file to Avast Support.
- Automatic Maintenance: enable or disable this feature, and specify which items Avast Cleanup Premium can delete during Automatic Maintenance.
- Outdated programs: select which actions Avast Cleanup Premium performs when it detects outdated programs on your PC.
Can I schedule Avast Cleanup Premium to run automatically?
Yes, you can configure Avast Cleanup Premium to perform Maintenance scans automatically. When enabled, Automatic Maintenance doesn't require any action from you, and runs silently in the background to free up space on your PC by removing dispensable items, such as broken shortcuts and registry items. To enable Automatic Maintenance, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Automatic Maintenance and click the red (OFF) slider so that it changes to green (ON). The Automatic Maintenance settings screen also allows you to manually select which items Avast Cleanup Premium deletes during Automatic Maintenance.
- 100 MB or more of cleanable space on your system
- 100 or more broken registry items
- 100 or more broken shortcuts
- 100 or more tracking cookies
What does Avast Cleanup Premium do with my encrypted files?
Avast Cleanup Premium ignores encrypted partitions and files to ensure your privacy and security. If your entire hard drive is encrypted, Avast Cleanup Premium cannot scan and optimize your system.
Can I review found issues before Avast Cleanup Premium optimizes my PC?
Yes. When Avast Cleanup Premium completes a scan, you can review and manage any found issues.
When Automatic Maintenance is enabled, you can select which items Avast Cleanup Premium automatically deletes by clicking
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Automatic Maintenance. Click the arrow next to a category to view its individual items, then manually de-select any items you don't want to be deleted automatically.
How does Avast Cleanup Premium determine ratings for Unnecessary Programs?
During a Speed up scan, Avast Cleanup Premium scans for unnecessary programs installed on your PC. Click Unnecessary programs after the scan completes to view a list of programs and their ratings (out of five stars). To determine a program's rating, Avast Cleanup Premium uses a cloud-based rating system based on known blocked and allowed lists, heuristic algorithms, Avast's Recommendation Engine, and user ratings. This makes it easier for you to determine which programs you want to keep and which programs you want to remove.
How do I uninstall Avast Cleanup Premium?
For detailed instructions to uninstall Avast Cleanup Premium, refer to the following article:
Can I undo changes made by Avast Cleanup Premium?
Yes. If you want to reverse certain changes that Avast Cleanup Premium made to your PC, you can undo them in the Rescue Center. Click the Rescue Center tab on the right side of the Avast Cleanup Premium interface to view a list of actions, then click Undo next to any changes you want to reverse.
☰Menu ▸ Settings ▸ General ▸ Rescue Center to select items to back up and specify how long to keep these backups, which can be used to undo changes.
How do I report a problem or suspected bug?
If Avast Cleanup Premium produces unexpected results or error messages, report the issue to Avast Support by submitting a ticket. Send a detailed description of how to reproduce the error and include the following information:
- Your Windows version
- The brand and model of your PC and graphics card
- A detailed description of the problem and how to reproduce the issue
- Any error messages displayed
- Any differences on your PC following the Avast Cleanup Premium issue
How do I report a falsely identified junk file or program that Avast Cleanup Premium removed from my system?
If Avast Cleanup Premium disables or removes a file or a program that you wanted to keep, report the issue to Avast Support by submitting a ticket. In the ticket, include the exact file or program name, all relevant details, and the undesired result.
What should I do when I receive a "Well, this is embarrassing..." error message?
If you receive a "Well, this is embarrassing..." error message, the issue may be the result of conflicts with Windows services configuration. Ensure that the relevant Windows services are set to run automatically, or reinstall the product by following the steps in the article linked below:
- Avast Cleanup Premium 20.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit