avast! antivirus version 4.8 and earlier will discontinue virus definition updates by January 2017.
Refer to a list of frequently asked questions below for information about updating to the latest version of Avast Antivirus from version 4.8.
What happens when the virus definitions for avast! antivirus 4.8 become obsolete?
If you use avast! antivirus version 4.8 or earlier, virus definitions are to be discontinued by January 2017. While your avast! antivirus will still function, your protection is compromised. We strongly recommend updating to the latest version of Avast Antivirus to benefit from important protection features and up-to-date virus definitions.
Why should I update my program version?
- When you have the latest version of Avast Antivirus, the program and virus definitions are updated automatically. This means you always have the most recent and effective version.
- Our online help services and customer care team are best equipped to support more recent version of Avast Antivirus.
- The latest version of Avast Antivirus offers advanced protection features, such as CyberCapture. For more information about available features, refer to the Features and Settings section in the following article:
How do I update to the latest version of Avast Antivirus from version 4.8?
To update your program version:
- Uninstall your avast! antivirus. For detailed uninstallation steps, read the article below:
- Install the latest version of Avast Antivirus. For detailed installation instructions, read to the articles below according to your preferred product version:
- avast! antivirus Professional Edition 4.8 and earlier
- avast! antivirus Home Edition 4.8 and earlier
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 2, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition - Service Pack 3, 32-bit