Some users of Norman's software have strict rules regarding http (web) access through their firewalls. Only particular IP addresses and/or computer names are allowed to be accessed. This means that the servers involved in an update of Norman's software have to be allowed access through the firewall(s) in order to update successfully.
There are two different types of servers involved in an Internet update of Norman's software- the validation servers (that check the authentication key) and the download servers. Both of these have to be accessible in order for the update to complete successfully.
Current Validation Servers
- IP 220.127.116.11 - DNS name: niuone.norman.no
- IP 18.104.22.168 - DNS name: niusix.norman.no
- IP 22.214.171.124 - DNS name niutwo.norman.no
- IP 126.96.36.199 - DNS name niufour.norman.no
- IP 188.8.131.52 - DNS name niuseven.norman.no
- IP 184.108.40.206 - DNS name niuthree.norman.no
- IP 220.127.116.11 - DNS name niunine.norman.no
- IP 18.104.22.168 - DNS name niufive.norman.no
- IP 22.214.171.124 - DNS name niueight.norman.no
Current Download ServersAfter a request from the Norman Internet Update has validated successfully, the download servers are contacted to check if any new program modules are available.
The computer names used for the download servers are download03.norman.com, download04.norman.com and a1380.d.akamai.net. However, these names resolve to potentially more than 10.000 different IP addresses depending for example on the client's geographical location and the time at which one tries to update the Norman installation. This will pose a problem for those who restrict access through the firewall based on IPs, as it will be impossible to keep more than 10.000 different IPs updated constantly.
While there is a workaround, we recommend that customers exercise caution when using this, as the particular download server will be accessible at any point in time when one tries to update Norman's software using Norman Internet Update. Such restrictions do not apply in a normal update situation.
For customers who deploy restrictive rules on the update computer(s), please follow the steps below:
- Do a DNS lookup to the server download03.norman.com, download04.norman.com and a1380.d.akamai.net
- The IPs that are resolved should be the download servers best suited for the customer in question at that point in time
For example: 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 (these IPs are valid download servers that may be used, though they will probably not be the best ones for most customers)
- Open the firewall for the IP address resolved
- Edit the host file(s) on the computer(s) that will be able to download updates
- Add the following lines to the computer's hosts file