SecureLine VPN enables you to disguise your location by hiding your real IP address. This helps prevent websites and servers from tracking your real location. If you want to check that your real location is hidden when using SecureLine VPN, follow the instructions below.
Check your IP address
After connecting to SecureLine VPN, your virtual IP address is displayed. To verify if your IP address and location has changed, follow the instructions below.
Disable location services
Some websites and servers use geolocation tracking to find out your real location, even when you are using a VPN. To stop this from happening, you may need to disable location services on your device to ensure your real location remains hidden when using a VPN.
Use incognito/private browsing mode
Most web browsers have an incognito/private browsing mode that allows you to surf the web without leaving any traces on your device, such as cookies, temporary internet files (cache), or browsing history that can be used to track your real location. In most cases, using incognito/private browsing mode will resolve any remaining location tracking issues.
Open your preferred browser, then follow the relevant steps below:
- Avast Secure Browser: Go to ⋮ Menu (three dots) ▸ New Stealth Mode Window.
- Google Chrome: Go to ⋮ Menu (three dots) ▸ New incognito window.
- Mozilla Firefox: Go to ☰ Menu (three lines) ▸ New Private Window.
- Microsoft Edge: Go to … Settings (three dots) ▸ New InPrivate window.
- Opera: Go to Menu (the Opera icon) ▸ New private window.
- Safari: Click File in the menu bar and select New Private Window.
Change your browser location settings
Clean your cache and cookies
Clear Java & Flash cache
Java & Flash cache are stored separately. Clearing the Java Plug-in cache and the Adobe Flash cache forces your browser to load the latest versions of web pages and programs, which ensures that all traces of your real location are removed.
- Avast SecureLine VPN 5.x for Windows
- Avast SecureLine VPN 3.x for Mac
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit
- Apple macOS 10.14.x (Mojave)
- Apple macOS 10.13.x (High Sierra)
- Apple macOS 10.12.x (Sierra)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.11.x (El Capitan)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.10.x (Yosemite)