The Virus Chest in Avast Security for Mac is an isolated space where you can safely store potentially dangerous files before applying further actions.
Files in the Virus Chest cannot run or access your system and data, so any malicious code contained within a file is unable to harm your Mac. If you double-click a file in the Virus Chest, only the file properties are displayed. This prevents infected files from being run accidentally and potentially causing damage to your Mac.
Refer to the sections in this article for instructions to manage files in Virus Chest.
Access the Virus Chest
To open the Virus Chest in Avast Security for Mac:
- Click the Avast Menu bar icon and select Open Avast from the context menu.
- Select Virus Chest.
Move files to the Virus Chest
By default, files are moved into the Virus Chest in the following ways:
- If a manual scan detects a suspicious file and you confirm that a detected file should be moved to Virus Chest.
- If an active shield detects a suspicious file.
If Avast Security detects a suspicious file during a scan, the detection appears in the scan report. You can send the file to the Virus Chest by clicking Chest at the bottom of the Reports screen.
When the file has been moved, it is marked as Moved to Chest in the Status column.
Restore files from the Virus Chest
To restore a file from the Virus Chest back to its original location:
- Select the desired file (or multiple files) on the Virus Chest screen.
- Click Restore.
- Click Yes to confirm.
Submit files from the Virus Chest to Avast Threat Lab
Any suspicious file, or file incorrectly identified as a threat, can be submitted directly from your Virus Chest to the Avast Threat Lab for further analysis. To submit a file for virus analysis:
- Right-click a file (or selected multiple files) and select Submit to virus lab....
- In the form, select the sample type (either Potential malware or a False positive) and enter as much additional information as possible. If you are submitting a False positive, specify the Program name, Program publisher, Program version number, and reason why you believe the file or program should not have been detected.
A confirmation appears when the file is submitted for analysis.
Delete files from the Virus Chest
To permanently delete a file from the Virus Chest:
- Select a file (or multiple files) on the Virus Chest screen.
- Click Delete at the bottom of the screen.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- Avast Security 13.x for Mac
- Avast Security Pro 13.x for Mac
- Apple macOS 10.13.x (High Sierra)
- Apple macOS 10.12.x (Sierra)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.11.x (El Capitan)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.10.x (Yosemite)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.9.x (Mavericks)