Avast Cleanup Premium is an optimization tool which scans for and resolves performance, storage, and security issues on your PC. Avast Cleanup Premium is a paid product and requires a separate, paid license to use.
What is Avast Cleanup Premium?
Avast Cleanup Premium is a PC optimization tool. The program scans your PC to identify issues which may be taking up space or interfering with the performance of your PC and allows you to select which issues are removed or resolved.
How will Avast Cleanup Premium improve the performance of my PC?
With frequent use, the reliability and performance of your PC begins to decline. You may notice the following issues:
- Programs that run very slowly, crash, or freeze.
- A lack of disk space.
- Popups from 'bloatware' programs.
When you use Avast Cleanup Premium to scan for and resolve issues on your PC, you enhance your PC's performance, clear disk space, and eliminate unwanted programs and security risks.
Is there a free-trial version of Avast Cleanup Premium available?
Yes. The trial version offers free access to all features and functions of Avast Cleanup Premium for a limited time period. When the free-trial period ends, your subscription automatically renews and you are charged the price of a 1-year subscription for 1 PC. You can cancel your subscription at any time during the trial and you will not be charged.
To download a free-trial version of Avast Cleanup Premium, follow these steps:
- Download and run the Avast Cleanup Premium setup file.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the program.
- Click Scan Now to perform an inital scan and view issues on your PC, then click Fix & Clean.
- Enter your contact information and payment details to resolve found issues and gain access to all features within Avast Cleanup Premium. You are not charged until the end of the free-trial period.
Can I use my PC during a scan?
Yes, you can continue to use your PC while Avast Cleanup Premium performs the scan and clean. However, we recommend that you review the scan results to confirm any actions before Avast Cleanup Premium cleans your PC.
Can I schedule Avast Cleanup Premium to run automatically?
Yes, you can configure Avast Cleanup Premium to perform Maintenance scans automatically. Automatic Maintenance runs silently in the background with no actions required from you and frees up space on your PC by removing dispensible items, such as broken shortcuts and registry items. To enable Automatic Maintenance, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Automatic Maintenance and click the OFF slider so it changes to green ON. The Automatic Maintenance settings screen also allows you to manually select which items Avast Cleanup Premium deletes during Automatic Maintenance.
- 100 MB or more of cleanable space on your system
- 100 or more broken registry items
- 100 or more broken shortcuts
- 100 or more tracking cookies
How do I perform a scan?
If you use Avast Antivirus, go to Performance ▸ Cleanup Premium ▸ Scan Now. To perform additional scans or resolve found issues, you need to purchase an Avast Cleanup Premium subscription. If you already have an Avast Cleanup Premium subscription, double-click the Avast Cleanup Premium icon on your desktop or on your Windows taskbar, then select which scan you want to perform by clicking the relevant tile:
- Maintenance: a comprehensive scan that detects broken or redundant items in the system, and cookies which can be used to track your behavior.
- Speed Up: scans for unnecessary programs, and programs launched during system startup that are still running in the background.
- Free Up Space: scans for leftover files created by the system, programs, or installers (such as temporary, log, and cached files, including browser data) that may be taking up large amounts of disk space on your PC.
- Fix Problems: scans for unusual system settings that may be affecting the reliability of your PC's behavior, and outdated third-party software.
For detailed information about each scan, refer to the following article:
What does Avast Cleanup Premium do with my encrypted files?
Avast Cleanup Premium ignores encrypted partitions and files to ensure your privacy and security. If your entire hard drive is encrypted, Avast Cleanup Premium cannot scan and optimize your system.
Can I review details of what Avast Cleanup Premium will optimize before it cleans?
Yes. When Avast Cleanup Premium completes a scan, you can review and manage any found issues.
If you have enabled Automatic Maintenance, you can select which items Avast Cleanup Premium automatically deletes by clicking
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Automatic Maintenance. Click the side arrow next to a category to view specific items within that category and manually de-select any items you don't want deleted.
What is a Maintenance scan?
The Maintenance scan is a comprehensive scan that checks for the following issues on your PC:
- Broken Registry Items
- Broken Shortcuts
- System Junk
- Browser Cache
- Tracking Cookies
- Browsing & Download History
To launch a Maintenance scan, double-click the Avast Cleanup Premium icon on your desktop or on your Windows task bar and click Maintenance. After a scan, you can select which items you want to resolve, then tap Fix & Clean.
You can additionally enable Automatic Maintenance, which allows Avast Cleanup Premium to run Maintenance scans when needed, without any actions from you. To enable and configure Automatic Maintenance, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Automatic Maintenance.
For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
What is Speed Up?
The Speed Up option scans for issues which may be affecting the speed and performance of your system. During a Speed Up scan, Avast Cleanup Premium checks for the following issues:
- Background & Startup Programs
- Unnecessary programs
To launch a Speed Up scan, double-click the Avast Cleanup Premium icon on your desktop or on your Windows task bar and click Speed Up. After a scan, you can select which items you want to resolve. For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
What is Free Up Space?
The Free Up Space option scans for leftover files created by the system, programs, or installers (such as temporary, log, and cached files, including browser data) which may be taking up large amounts of disk space on your PC.
To launch a Free Up Space scan, double-click the Avast Cleanup Premium icon on your desktop or on your Windows task bar and click Free Up Space. After a scan, you can select which items you want to resolve. For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
What is Fix Problems?
The Fix Problems option scans for:
- Unusual system settings, which may be affecting the reliability of your PC's behavior.
- Outdated programs, which may represent a security risk.
To launch a Fix Problems scan, double-click the Avast Cleanup Premium icon on your desktop or on your Windows task bar and click Fix Problems. After a scan, you can select which issues you want to resolve. For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
What is Outdated programs?
Outdated programs is a feature in Avast Cleanup Premium that keeps commonly used third-party software updated to eliminate potential security risks and improve the overall performance of your system. To specifiy how Avast Cleanup Premium responds when it detects an outdated program on your PC, go to
☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Outdated programs. The following options are available:
- Fully automatic updates: Avast Cleanup Premium checks for, downloads, and installs updates automatically. No action is required from you.
- Download only: Avast Cleanup Premium automatically checks for and downloads available updates, but you need to install them manually.
- Check only: Avast Cleanup Premium checks for available updates, but you need to download and install them manually.
If you don't enable Fully automatic updates, you can check for issues and manage the download and installation of updates by clicking Fix problems on the main Avast Cleanup Premium dashboard.
What is the Rescue Center?
The Rescue Center allows you to undo certain changes made by Avast Cleanup Premium. To access the Rescue Center, click the rescue icon on the right side of the Avast Cleanup Premium interface. You can view a list of actions and click Undo next to any action you want to undo.
How does Avast Cleanup Premium determine the ratings for Unnecessary Programs?
During a Speed up scan, Avast Cleanup Premium scans for Unnecessary programs installed on your PC. When you click Unnecessary programs after the scan, you can view a list of programs and their ratings (out of five stars). To determine a program's rating, Avast Cleanup Premium uses a cloud-based rating system based on blacklists and whitelists, heuristic algorithms, Avast's Recommendation Engine, and user ratings. This makes it easier for you to determine which programs you want to keep and which programs you want to remove.
Download, installation, and activation
How do I install Avast Cleanup Premium?
- Download and run the Avast Cleanup Premium setup file.
- Click Yes in the User Account Control dialog.
- Set the language you want to use, then click OK.
- Review the file's location, then click Next.
- Click Install, then click Finish.
When the program is successfully installed, the Avast Cleanup Premium interface opens. If prompted, enter the activation code sent to the email used during the purchase. For detailed instructions, refer to the following articles:
How do I activate a paid subscription?
If you purchased Avast Cleanup Premium through another Avast program or the Avast Store, your license is activated automatically. If you purchase Avast Cleanup Premium before installation, you need to manually activate the program. There are 2 ways of doing this from the main screen of the Avast Cleanup Premium interface:
- Order Confirmation Email: Activate the product using the activation code from your order confirmation email. To do this, click
☰Menu ▸ My licenses ▸ Enter a valid activation code and enter your activation code.
- Avast Account: Activate the product via the Avast account connected to the email address you used during the purchase. To do this, click
☰Menu ▸ My licenses ▸ Login to your Avast Account.
For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
How do I purchase Avast Cleanup Premium?
If you already use Avast Antivirus, follow these steps to purchase Avast Cleanup Premium:
- Open the Avast user interface and go to Performance ▸ Cleanup Premium.
- Click Scan Now.
- After Avast Cleanup Premium performs an initial scan, click Resolve.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to purchase and install Avast Cleanup Premium.
If you do not use Avast Antivirus, you can purchase an Avast Cleanup Premium subscription from the Avast website.
Can I transfer my Avast Cleanup Premium activation code from one PC to another?
You can use your Avast Cleanup Premium activation code on the number of PCs you specified during purchase.
What should I do if my purchased subscription or activation code doesn't work?
If Avast Cleanup Premium does not accept your activation code:
- Use our webform or your Avast Account to re-send your activation code to the email address used for your purchase, then activate the subscription again.
- If the activation fails, uninstall Avast Cleanup Premium and restart your PC.
- Download and install the latest version of Avast Cleanup Premium.
- In the Avast Cleanup Premium interface, go to
☰▸ My licenses and activate the license.
If these steps do not work, contact Avast Customer Support.
How do I manage Avast Cleanup Premium settings?
You can access Avast Cleanup Premium settings by clicking
☰ Menu at the top of the Avast Cleanup Premium interface, then selecting Settings. From Settings, you can perform the following actions:
- General: change the language of the user interface, choose whether or not the Avast Cleanup Premium icon is visible in your System tray, and adjust your Personal privacy settings.
- Notifications: manage which notifications you see from Avast Cleanup Premium.
- Automatic Maintenance: specify which items Avast Cleanup Premium can delete during Automatic Maintenance and enable or disable this feature.
- Outdated programs: select which actions Avast Cleanup Premium performs when it detects Outdated programs on your PC.
- Rescue Center: specify which actions can be reversed via Rescue Center, and decide after how long backups are deleted.
- Troubleshooting: tick Enable debug logging if you need to send a log file to Avast Support for troubleshooting purposes.
For more inforamtion refer to the following article:
Can I undo changes made by Avast Cleanup Premium?
Yes. If you are unsatisfied with any changes Avast Cleanup Premium makes to your PC, you can undo certain changes in the Rescue Center.
How do I report a problem or suspected bug?
If Avast Cleanup Premium produces unexpected results or error messages, report the issue to Avast Support by submitting a ticket. Send a detailed description of how to reproduce the error and include the following information:
- Your version of Windows and your PC's brand, model, and graphics card.
- A detailed description of the problem and the sequence of actions leading up the issue.
- Any error messages displayed.
- Any differences on your PC following the Avast Cleanup Premium issue.
How do I report a falsely identified junk file or program that Avast Cleanup Premium removed from my system?
If Avast Cleanup Premium disables or removes a file or a program that you wanted to keep, report the issue to Avast Support by opening a support ticket and including the exact file or program name, all relevant details, and the undesired result.
What should I do when I receive a "Well, this is embarassing..." error message?
If you have received a "Well, this is embarassing.. error message", the issue may be the result of conflicts with Windows services configuration. Ensure that the relevant Windows services are set to run automatically or reinstall the product by following the steps in this article, Troubleshooting the "Embarassing" error message in Cleanup Premium or Avast Antivirus.
- Avast Cleanup Premium 19.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit