Avast Mobile Security is a security app for Android designed to protect your device against unwanted phishing, malware, spyware, and malicious viruses such as trojans. The app also provides a range of features to make the use of your device easier.
Refer to the sections in this article for instructions on using Avast Mobile Security.
Navigate the Avast Mobile Security interface
Tap the Avast Mobile Security icon on the main screen of your device to open the app.
The main screen comprises of the Scan button, four tiles representing the other scan options.
Each options consists of different information or actions that you can perform:
- Scan: scans all installed applications and informs you of security risks caused by changes to default Android settings.
- Boost RAM: kills apps running in the background and slowing down your device.
- Clean junk: displays the current percentage of used storage space on your device and enables you to safely free space. You are also offered to get even more space with the Avast Cleanup app.
- Check speed: verifies the speed of a Wi-Fi network that you are connected to.
- Lock apps: enables you to create a PIN to protect your device apps.
Main screen of the app also displays the menu icon in the top-left corner. The menu provides access to a range of privacy protection and device management tools, enables you to log into your Avast Account, and gives you access to the app settings.
Purchase and activate Avast Mobile Security Pro
Avast Mobile Security is available as both a free and paid Pro version. Upgrading to paid Avast Mobile Security Pro allows you to:
- Lock an unlimited number of apps with the App Locking feature.
- Disable third party ads.
- Use Avast Anti-Theft to capture a photo of the thief when incorrect PIN is entered, lock your device when SIM card is changed and secretly record the phone's surroundings at any time.
- Ensures prioritized responses to your support inquiries.
For instruction about upgrade, read the following article:
Scan your device for security threats
Avast Mobile Security enables you to scan your installed apps and memory card contents for security issues, and also detects security risks caused by changes to default Android settings.
- Tap the Scan button.
- Tap Resolve to deal with any security issues found on your device.
When the scan is complete, Scan reports any found issues. If no issues are found, Scan provides you with tips for further optimizing your device.
Schedule your device scans
- Tap the menu icon and go to Settings.
- Tap Protection to open a list of protection settings.
- Tap Scheduled scan to set regular scans.
- Turn ON the Scheduled scan button, and select the time and day(s) of the week when you want the regular scan to run.
- Tap the back arrow to confirm the settings of your scheduled scan and return to your protection settings.
Configure your protection settings
- Turn the following shields ON or OFF:
To ensure maximum protection, all shields are enabled by default.
- App Install Shield: scans apps after the installation.
- Web Shield: prevents you from accessing fake sites online.
- Turn the following protection options ON or OFF:
- Internal storage scanning: enables the app to scan the internal storage of your device, including your photos, media files, and installed apps, for threats. This option is disabled by default.
- Low reputation apps: enables the app to detect and warn you about apps with low reputations. The reputations of apps are determined according to feedback from Avast users.
- PUP detection: enables the app to protect you from Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) which are programs that are stealthily downloaded when you download other programs. PUPs usually clutter your device with unwanted activity, such as toolbars and ads that interrupt you while browsing online.
- Tap the back arrow to exit your protection settings.
Kill the apps running in the background
The Boost RAM option allows Avast Mobile Security to kill apps running in the background to prevent these apps from slowing down your device and draining the battery.
Tap the Boost RAM tile to kill the apps running in the background.
Manage your storage space
The Clean junk tile displays the current percentage of used storage space on your device and enables you to reduce the amount of occupied storage space with the Safe Clean option and via the Avast Cleanup app.
- Tap the Clean junk tile.
- Tap Grant permission.
- Tap Allow.
- Tap Safe Clean to safely remove unnecessary files from your device.
In the Avast Cleanup app, you can remove more unnecessary files, media, apps, and app data to provide you with more storage space on your device. You can also transfer files and media to a cloud storage service.
Verify the speed of a connected Wi-Fi network
The Check speed tile enables you to verify the speed of a Wi-Fi network that you are currently connected to.
- Tap Check speed to test the speed of your Wi-Fi network.
- The app shows you of the Download and Upload speed of the connected Wi-Fi network. Tap the ❌ cross icon to close the results dialog.
PIN protect your important apps
App Locking is a paid feature that enables you to set a PIN for your apps. Each time you want to open a protected app, you are required to provide the PIN.
- Tap the Lock apps tile to run the App Locking feature.
- Tap Set up now.
- Tap Usage Access and grant this permission in Android settings.
- Tap Set new PIN code.
- Select an account for PIN reset and tap OK to confirm.
- Create a PIN and type it again to confirm.
- Tap Activate App Locking if you want to start using App Locking immediately, or tap Set new pattern to set a pattern first.
- Turn on the App Locking option for the apps that you want to protect.
To change your PIN at any time, go to Settings ▸ PIN & Pattern ▸ Change PIN.
Track your phone with Anti-Theft
Anti-Theft is a feature designed to protect your private mobile data and help you recover your phone in case of loss or theft.
- Tap the menu icon and select Anti-Theft to access this feature.
- Follow the steps in the following article to start using this feature.
Verify the security of a connected Wi-Fi network
Wi-Fi Security enables you to scan your network for problems with the router, encryption, Wi-Fi, and connection.
Tap Wi-Fi Security to test the security of your Wi-Fi network.
When this action is complete, the app advises if the network is safe and notifies you of potential threats. Wi-Fi Security describes the issue in detail and offers a solution. You can connect to a network from Wi-Fi Security and run a scan, or scan a network that your device is already connected to.
PIN protect your photos
Photo Vault allows you to protect access to your photos with a PIN code. After moving photos to the Vault, they are encrypted and hidden.
- Tap the menu icon and select Photo Vault to access this feature.
- Tap the plus icon and select one of the available options:
- Take a new photo: allows you to take photos directly from the Vault.
- Import from gallery: allows you to select photos from your existing gallery.
Save your battery power
Power Save allows you to adjust the range of settings that may reduce your device's battery consumption. The feature offers a variety of settings, such as the Wi-Fi, synchronization, Bluetooth, and screen settings that drain your battery the most. You can select your preferred battery saving settings or use the default configuration.
If the Avast Battery Saver app is also installed on your device, power saving is managed by this app.
- Tap the menu icon and select Power Save.
- Tap Activate Power Save.
- Tap Grant now and grant System settings permission for Avast Mobile Security.
- Tap Power Save Settings.
- Adjust power saving settings according to your preferences by enabling or disabling options visible on the list.
Block unwanted calls
With Call Blocker, you can filter voice calls based on blacklisted phone numbers that can include all unknown numbers, hidden numbers, and manually added numbers. When a call is blocked, the caller is automatically redirected to voice mail.
- Tap the menu icon and select Call Blocker.
- Tap the add icon, and on the next screen, select the type of number(s) that you want to blacklist (for example, tap All unknown numbers, or tap Enter number to specify a phone number manually).
Calls that are blocked by Call Blocker are visible under the History tab on the main screen of Call Blocker.
Check the permissions of your apps
In App Permission, you can view a list of the installed apps on your device.
- Tap the menu icon and select App Permissions.
- Select the app that you want to check for the required App Permissions and Ad Networks.
App Permissions also enables you to uninstall a non-system app by tapping Uninstall, or open more information about an app by tapping App Info.
Manage internet access for apps with the Firewall (rooted devices only)
The Firewall feature enables you to manage internet access for installed apps.
- Tap the menu icon and select Firewall.
- Turn ON the Firewall button, and tap Grant to give the feature access to your device.
- Select the apps that you want to block, and select from the following options:
- Block all: to completely block the app regardless of the connection type.
- Block mobile data: to block the app only when the device is not connected to a Wi-Fi network.
Configure your Avast Mobile Security settings
In the Settings section of the app, you can adjust the configuration of Avast Mobile Security to meet your needs.
- Tap the menu icon and scroll down to Settings.
- Tap an option to perform further actions:
- Notifications: set the types of notifications that you want to receive from the app. All notifications are turned on by default. The Permanent notification is necessary for the app to provide you with complete protection.
- Charging screen help your device recharge faster by killing all background tasks.
- Protection: schedule automatic scans and turn on additional protection settings.
- Disable ads (Avast Mobile Security Pro only): remove the third party ads by upgrading your app to the Pro version.
- PIN & Pattern: set or change your App Locking PIN/Pattern.
- App Locking timeout: specify when apps are being locked with the App Locking feature.
- Updates: check the current Virus definitions version. By default, virus definitions are updated whenever you have internet access. To preserve mobile data, turn on the Update over Wi-Fi only option so that updates only occur when you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Activity Log: view a list of recent activities performed by the app, such as updates and scans.
- Data settings: set your preferences for sharing anonymized information that helps us understand your needs and improve our product accordingly.
- About: view information about the app such as the End User License Agreement.
- Avast Mobile Security 6.x
- Google Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean, API 16) or higher