The Anti-Theft feature of Avast Mobile Security needs to be enabled to allow remote control of your device. You also can upgrade Avast Mobile Security to the Pro version and use the following additional Anti-Theft options:
- Capturing a photo of the thief when an incorrect PIN is entered.
- Locking your device when the SIM card is changed.
- Secretly recording an audio file of the phone's surroundings at any time.
Anti-Theft allows you to control your device remotely using your Avast Account. To use this feature, the Anti-Theft feature must be connected to your Avast Account. Your lost device must also be running and connected to the internet.
This article describes the most frequently used commands: LOCATE, LOST, and WIPE. However, Anti-Theft offers several other commands that may be used if you want to locate your lost phone, secure your data, or identify the possible thief.
If your mobile device is not paired with an Avast Account, or the Anti-Theft feature is not enabled, it is not possible to control the device remotely.
Navigate the Avast Account interface
- Open your Avast Account on your web browser. Fill in your credentials and click Login.
- Select your lost device.
- Select the command that you would like to use.
Send LOST command
The LOST command initiates the same actions as a SIM card change, depending on your protection behavior settings.
- Select Mark as Lost in the command panel.
- Ensure the LOST tab is selected, and click Send.
By default, the following features are enabled and activate when you mark your device as LOST:
- Lock device: makes your device inaccessible to intruders.
- Sound siren: activates the siren on your device to alert you or others to its location.
- Camera trap: captures a photo of the thief and records a 1-minute audio file to help you identify the thief. To review the photo and audio file in your Avast Account, select your device and go to Info ▸ Notifications.
- Avast Mobile Security: go to
☰Menu ▸ Anti-Theft and scroll down to the When device is marked as LOST section.
- Avast Account: select your device and go to Settings ▸ Anti-Theft ▸ Protection Behavior.
If you have chosen to disable any of these features, you can activate them individualy by sending commands from your Avast Account.
To disable the LOST command, enter your PIN code on your found device, or select Mark as lost ▸ FOUND and click Send in your Avast Account.
Send LOCATE command
The LOCATE command is the simplest and quickest way to locate your device.
- Select LOCATE in the command panel.
- Select Request location to send the command once or Track device to monitor the device's location changes. If you select Every 5 minutes, you receive information about the location of your mobile device every 5 minutes. Select the time interval and click Save to send the command. To stop tracking your mobile device, select Stop tracking device under Locate.
- Once your mobile is located, you can view the map with the device's location, marked with a green circle. Click the table icon to open the GPS coordinates, where you can review your device's location, latitude, longitude and information about accuracy.
You can provide this information to the police if necessary. Please note that accuracy varies depending on signal strength and if the device is in the range of a GPS signal.
Send WIPE command
The WIPE command erases all data on your device and initiates a factory reset.
- Select WIPE from the command list.
- Click Send to clear all data from your device. Once sent, your device will reboot.
- Avast Anti-Theft for Android
- Avast Mobile Security 6.x
- Google Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean, API 16) or higher