What is Identity Assist?
The Identity Assist feature in Avast BreachGuard for Windows and Mac allows you speak to one of our Identity Assist experts free of charge 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Our experts offer two separate services depending on your needs:
- ScamAssist®: Our experts can investigate potentially fraudulent solicitations (including emails, letters, and phone calls) on your behalf. Refer to the Scam Assist section for more information.
- Identity Resolution: If you are a victim of identity theft, or you believe you may be vulnerable to identity theft, our experts can immediately take the appropriate action to remedy the situation. Refer to the Identity Resolution section for more information.
How can I use Identity Assist?
If you need to contact our Identity Assist experts, follow the steps below:
- Before contacting one of our experts, verify if you require the ScamAssist® or Identity Resolution service.
- Open Avast BreachGuard and click the Identity Assist tile on the application dashboard.
- Call the phone number in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- When prompted, specify if you require ScamAssist® or Identity Resolution.
You are now connected to one of our experts. Refer to the relevant section in this article for more information about what to expect during the initial call:
Why is Identity Assist not available in Avast BreachGuard?
Currently, the Identity Assist feature is only available in Avast BreachGuard if you are in the USA, Canada, or Mexico.
From September 2021, we plan to also make the service available in Europe, Australia, and Brazil.
When should I use ScamAssist®?
If you receive a solicitation that you suspect may be fraudulent, one of our trained experts will investigate your case and provide a full assessment to help you determine if the solicitation is legitimate.
Our Scam Assist experts can investigate the following types of solicitation:
- Letters or flyers received through the post
- Phone calls
- Text messages
What can I expect when I call a ScamAssist® expert?
After you call Identity Assist and specify that you require ScamAssist®, you are connected to one of our Scam Assist experts. The expert will explain how you can submit the suspicious solicitation and ask you to provide a contact email address. Within 24 hours you will receive a detailed written assessment that evaluates the legitimacy of the solicitation.
How can I identify a potentially fraudulent solicitation?
Scammers may contact you via email, text message, letter, or phone, pretending to be a company that you trust. These fraudulent solicitations often appear authentic, but are designed to steal your sensitive personal information, or infect your device with malware.
Fraudulent solicitations may prompt you to do any of the following:
- Enter your payment card or bank account details
- Enter your username and password for an account or service
- Provide other sensitive information, such as your Social Security Number
- Download a suspicious attachment that contains malware
- Click a hyperlink that leads to an infected URL
If you receive an email, text message, letter, or phone call that asks you to provide any kind of personal information, we recommend contacting ScamAssist® unless you are certain that the solicitation is genuine.
When should I use Identity Resolution?
If you are a victim of identity theft, or you believe you may be vulnerable to identity theft, one of our trained experts can provide any of the services below:
- Lost wallet assistance: We can quickly cancel and replace your payment cards if your wallet is lost or stolen.
- Notify legal authorities: We can report suspected fraud or identity theft to the police or other appropriate authorities.
- Emergency cash and travel assistance: We can arrange access to emergency funds if you lose your wallet while traveling. Our experts can also arrange transport, allowing you to quickly return home if necessary.
- Identity theft affidavit: We can help you to complete and submit an identity theft affidavit form. This document provides proof to businesses that your personal information was used fraudulently.
- Credit disputes: We can notify your card company about any unknown or inaccurate charges. Our experts will continue to pursue your inquiry until it is resolved and manage any potential disputes on your behalf.
- Credit freeze: We can limit who is able to view your personal credit report. This action means that the consumer reporting agency cannot sell your report without your permission.
What can I expect when I call an Identity Resolution expert?
After you call Identity Assist and specify that you require Identity Resolution, you are connected to one of our Identity Resolution experts. After you describe your issue, the expert will explain the next steps according to your specific case. If follow-up communication will be necessary, you are asked to provide a contact email address or phone number.
Our experts treat every situation as an emergency. We will perform any and all required steps to remedy the situation and prevent further loss or damage.
- Avast BreachGuard 21.x for Windows
- Avast BreachGuard 1.x for Mac
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit
- Apple macOS 11.x (Big Sur)
- Apple macOS 10.15.x (Catalina)
- Apple macOS 10.14.x (Mojave)
- Apple macOS 10.13.x (High Sierra)
- Apple macOS 10.12.x (Sierra)